Camera Map and Model animation... Teaser Trailer.

Whatever

Greetings all,

I'm a very long time EI user, but currently work mostly as an editor and Director of Photography. I was playing around with some concept animatics for Project Arbiter, a 25 minute short film that I was working on. I ended up co-editing the teaser trailer and creating all of the motion graphics for it. I also shot all of the footage in the teaser on Red. The two EI shots are the plane coming out of the Hanger and the shells falling over type at the end. While the plane shot was incomplete, and more of just a proof of concept, the Director liked it enough to put it in the trailer. It's funny, because it looks glaringly CG to me but quite a few people have asked where we got access to the plane. Wish I'd had time to finish it properly! Just thought that I'd share:

attachment.php?aid=119

More info can be found at the official site:

http://projectarbiter.com

Technical camera info can be found here:

http://reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?t=41603

Enjoy,

Jason Beckwith

post-105-13269393650987_thumb.jpg

Yes, great job. Very compelling, excellent cinematography.

The plane is well integrated, the walking soldier giving the size.

If I may be so bold, the propellors don't seem to turn fast enough to move the plane forward. Have you tried a pre-blurred image instead of the actual propellors?

Here is an example:

http://www.rdnmultimedia.com/eias/propellor.mov

project:

http://www.rdnmultimedia.com/eias/propellor.zip

Yup. Good advice.

I've done the propeller thingy before. EI does a weird thing with the motion blur on the spinning props, where it ends up looking square, instead of round. Like I said, this was just a proof of concept that got picked up before it was ready. There's a laundry list of things that I wanted to do, such as add more ground crew and vehicles, add some antenna's and anti-aircraft guns to the roof, paint in doors and windows, add more layers of clip or alpha mapped greenery for increased parallax, and actually texture the plane instead of just slapping a couple of materials on it. I think that I did this whole animation in about 14 hours, not including the render time. I probably spent longer on the falling shells than the plane!

Working full time + on corporate videos, and shooting these fun projects for free on the side can be pretty taxing when you have 2 kids! I'm happy enough with what we got out of it, and the response to the teaser on the internet. Now, I've shot the whole 25 minute short film, and the guys that do 3d, all-day-every-day, can do a far better job on the final than I did with the teaser. I can't wait to see a full rough cut of it!

Hi, Mark

Great teaser! great image (RED cam rocks!), the airplane take will improve a lot with more people, antennas and props, i think the airplane is fine, need more texture maps and a more careful lighting and will be OK. Cant wait for the completed movie. The armor is beautifully done and the props are on spot.

Great work

FelixCat

Well...

Unfortunately, that'll be it. It lives as is, and won't be revisited. While I'd love to finish it up, we've got the next trailer, as well as an FX heavy 25 minutes of short film to complete. But if you are into diesel-punk, retro-futuristic alternative history stories about spies in WWII, you should be in for a treat. It's also pretty unlikely that EI will factor into the final piece, as we have a VFX team working on it now, and they're all like, "Electric What!?!". As DoP, my duties will now only be consulting on the digital intermediate and application of the psuedo-hdr effect on the footage.

Jason

...as we have a VFX team working on it now, and they're all like, "Electric What!?!".

Oh yes, i know that! It reminds me on the situation Apple was in the late 90th and early 2000th.

Everyone around me declares me totally stupid and "help-resistant" when i told them: wait, just

wait! The time will come. And as long as we wait, i will use their computers.

And? Look where Apple is now!

Maybe we see someday a totally changed CG market with Ei on top, who knows?

Nevertheless, i am totally happy, that i have waited (and used Apple computers with EIAS on them :-)

fantomaz

Hi ALL I was only one where I worked who used an apple out of 15 people and constantly fought that battle. I expect the same out come with EIAS great design will win in the end.

Jason your a busy man, thanks for sharing , so we all get to enjoy the tips like the one Richard gave . Each person sharing some of what their up to , is a key to create a great EIAS community.

• 2 weeks later...

I started on (SGI) Silicon Graphics workstations, then went to Apple. I never had to use a p.c. for work. Still rockin the Mac and E.I. Though i did add Maya after they ported to OS X. Still use E.I. the most. Now if it just had a really great modeler... ; )

BTW love the falling ammo title. Was that rodeo?

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...