Picking up objects?

meester smeeth

Hello there, Does anybody know a good way to pick up an object with a hand or machine?  I was thinking constraints at first and then animating the weight but that didnt actually change the power of the controlling object, maybe I'm missing a setting somewhere....

I did an animation recently of a crane lifting steel around a site and actually had new scenes set up for every time something was picked up or put down.  Afterwards I thought, there has got to be a better way to do this! :)

A bit like animating the parent power would be perfect I think?

Al

Thanks for the ideas fellas, animating visibilty is sort of one step better than what I did last time. 

Fantomaz, thanks for the video, that makes sense how you did that.  The crane animation I did actually had to put a structure together of around 50 steel pieces and using 2 cranes at once, you can imagine how many crane to peices of steel set ups it needed, even with your technique, it would still need all this set up.

I was really hoping constraints would work somehow, I say this while not knowing fully how they work, I use 'look at' a lot and that works well.  I haven't found any use for the others and I bet they could be useful.

I was looking around at tutorials for other software, just to see how they go about this sort of thing and blender had a good way of doing it that was similar to a constraint and the strength was animated to full when needed etc.  It would be really good if we could do this!  I'll try to mess around with the constraints and see how it goes........