Blender Fluids to EIAS

Frankg

Hi Richard,

unfortunately I have no idea if obj2fact could import multiple files at once, because I don't have it.

It would be nice if someone could test it.

My idea was do do a little AppleScipt for transporter, but sadly transporter is not scriptable.

Perhaps EIAS9's new import-system has a magic button „import folder" :)

Regards

Frank

Hi, Frankg, Richard

Interesting workflow, but importing multiple obj files one by one is terrible!, imagine a 5 seconds fluid animation :O

FelixCat

Double clicking on a .fac file will auto import it into EI.... at least on OSX. Selecting all of the model files at once and opening them imports all of them but they won't be in order for whatever reason.

I've imported model sequences of hundreds of frames using this method, it's not too bad. Fwiw, OBJ2FACT will batch convert models.

Peter

@Frank

First thanks for the tutorial, sounds good!

I played with a self modeled shape and cant get the sim to work.

I did a cube and a spiral under the cube and a second cube under the spiral.

A third cube is inside the top cube and stands for the water.

So the water should run from the above cube through the spiral into the

second cube. So far so good.

But when i am in Blender and follow the tutorial i was told to set the self modeled shape to obstacable, not to domain.

But when you do this, there is no "Bakebutton" anymore ...

You only get a bakebutton when you set your model to "domain", but then

the sim stays in place and nothing happend.

What to do? Any ideas?

Alex

As far as i see (to answer my own question from above), you

need an other cube containing all other models (fluids, obstacles,...)

set to "Domain" to run the sim.

Now i am tweaking the settings, that the water will flow through

the spiral :D

Alex

Hi Richard,

unfortunately I have no idea if obj2fact could import multiple files at once, because I don't have it.

It would be nice if someone could test it.

My idea was do do a little AppleScipt for transporter, but sadly transporter is not scriptable.

Perhaps EIAS9's new import-system has a magic button „import folder" :)

Regards

Frank

Hi Frank,

Very nice simulation, I like Blender fluid simulations.

Obj2Fact have the batch import option so you can do it just in one click, unfortunately is no longer for sale, but as Tom says "Lets see what will happen with EIAS 9".

I use .Obj secuence very often, but I prefer to convert the .Obj sequence into a .mdd in Cinema4D before to import it in EIAS .

Here is a video guide line I made:

Cheers

Diego

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Diego,

I saw it - very great workflow.

I will definitely test it.

Thanks

Frank

As far as i see (to answer my own question from above), you

need an other cube containing all other models (fluids, obstacles,...)

set to "Domain" to run the sim.

Now i am tweaking the settings, that the water will flow through

the spiral :D

Alex

Hi Alex,

You found it!

Sorry for the late reply.

I'm actually busy with a completely different stuff.

I've some new tut's in work:)

Frank

Hey guys,

I just kept noticing this topic was constantly toward the top of the latest items. Frank & Diego these steps are great! I'm curious about running my copy of blender and learning it. I have the magic mouse and navigating around in most of my 3d programs for middle click is a hit or miss.

I'll keep an eye for IE9 developments as the suspense for a better model import sound to be the key to making this workflow a bit more seamless.

Can say it enough I like these videos.

• 11 months later...

I am trying to animate crashing waves on a cliff, not easy. The budget is small, not the expectations. I can't afford to buy Realflow for this one, so I am trying to get there with blender. So far I have generated a few tests with collision object and it points in the right direction. Beside the obvious long time involved in the baking phase I am running into a few more issues:

• CONVERSION... I have OBJ2FACT but can't quite batch convert. It has an option to open a folder, and when I ask for conversion, it does the frames in sequence but I have to sit there and click "CONVERT" and "OK" for every frame. Am I missing something, has someone done it successfully?

• SHADING... I had to increase the detail to 330 for Blender to generate a mesh with acceptable detail. On import it looks blocky, very low tesselllation. What should I use for normals value? is 100 better or should it be more? It looks like I get the best results by subdividing the geometry, but it gets quite large, and I have to do it manually, not practical...

Could be that I will have to buy Realflow anyway, it is easier to set-up, seems quicker and should import better with the Northern lights plug-in. I have to keep my sanity and my client happy.

Any thoughts or feedbacks are appreciated.

Christian

Thanks Tom,

It was not documented, and it works. The only problem is that you have to leave the program alone as it does the batch. If I click on a different window (like checking emails) it goes away and stops. Picky little bugger... I am making progress. I could not have done it without these postings.

Thanks,

Christian