Clip plane

Tango

Like most EI animators, I use a lot of different programs to do my work and sometimes it gets hard to remember how to do something or if the option you are looking for exist in the program you are currently using.

I am running into this issue now. I built a scene with cars racing inside a stadium. I have to start with my camera at the top (bird's eye view) and finish my scene with the camera at ground level. The problem is that my end position is outside the stadium. Removing part of the stadium is easily done by using a "clip plane" in Houdini, I have done it many times. But now, this is a series and everything is done in EI. I can't find a way to clip just a section of my geometry. I would like to avoid doing it in a modeler and re-importing geometry.

I thought of using a clipping map, but it involves a lot of objects.

Is there a way to tell the camera not to render geometry before a determined distance, or something like tat?

Thanks,

Christian

Hi Christian,

If your project renders quickly, you could try this brute-force method.  Render the project twice:  once with all the elements present and another with all the elements present except the stadium.  Then, in After Effects, you could composite the two layers, put the first render on top and apply feathered mask to this top layer to clear away part of the stadium.

Joe

• Like 1

It's not a matter of having an object (stadium) on or off. I have to be able to slice it with a vertical plane, so the front is not visible to the camera.  I have seen the Perspective Clip option but it didn't seem to do much. I will have to see if I can find more info on it.

I'll check the Tailor tool plug-in, I have looked at it before and it may be a solution.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Christian

Tailor Tool will do this, but it does not work at all in EIAS 9. (EIAS is aware of this)

It works well in 8 but if the model that is getting sliced is very heavy (lots of polygons) it gets really slow. Hopefully they can fix the speed issue with the EIAS9 64 bit update.

http://www.brianwhite.cc/temp/Tailor_time.jpg

This is a short clip of an animation using TailorTool - I really wished I could have slowed down the cut-away effect and increased the density of the models but because of the rendering time (using TailorTool) I had to make compromises to meet the deadline...

http://www.brianwhite.cc/temp/TT_clip.mov

brian

• Like 1

Ola Brian!

Thanks for the link.. you are correct, Tailor is not EIAS 9 ready yet.

Note: I cant see your movie link.

Thanks

Tom

just curious - what does it do when click the link? it is a QuickTime .mov (H.264 mpg) 

are you on a mac or PC? can you try to right click on the link then download the file?

let me know what you find out.

thanks!

brian

Ola Brian,

Im on a Mac (OSX 10.6.8), I cant download too, take a look in the error:

“ERROR

The requested URL could not be retrieved

The following error was encountered while trying to retrieve the URL: http://www.brianwhite.cc/temp/TT_clip.mov

Access Denied.

Access control configuration prevents your request from being allowed at this time. Please contact your service provider if you feel this is incorrect.

Your cache administrator is webmaster.

Generated Tue, 04 Jun 2013 18:45:52 GMT by localhost (squid/3.1.19)”

Thanks

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Brian,

I can see both links no problem, on my macbookpro. Thanks for the sample animation, this is what I was trying to do. I modified the design and made it work, you know when you are in a pinch... I know I will need that tool eventually. I keep EI8 around for some plug-ins that are not working with 9 yet.

Thanks for your help!

Christian