Suggestions

A few suggestions:

• A better color picker, the Apple default one would be great because of its magnify glass color picker: picks anywhere on the screen.

• Scroll wheel on the mouse supported on the project window.  Got thousands of parts and would love to be able to scroll thru them with the mouse wheel. 

• Bigger buttons at the top of the Project Window. Getting harder and harder to see those buttons up there, or is it my eyesight.

• When doing test renders, those tests appear in one window that you can flip thru. 

• If the render that Camera shows in the lower right corner were bigger, that would be awesome.  Not a big deal.

Good suggestions. Now that V9 is done with the new "coding" it will be possible to look at enhancements that where not really possible to add on the old structure. Those gentlemen worked VERY hard to bring EIAS to V9 and now the EI Community will enjoy a more mature Application that will include all the bells and whistles the developers are so eager to bring into it. Upgrading is the best way to show your appreciation...

• 2 months later...

I'm pretty happy with EIAS 9.  I've always loved EIAS (been using it since version 1.X).   I would like to see some additional enhancements to add to camera projection workflows.  Maybe something that allows for the perspective of an imported photo to be calculated (similar to the way SketchUp works, or C4D, and now Blender with a user-created add-on)... where you have control lines that you can move over the image that will calculate the camera.  This would make camera projection setups move much faster.  It would also be nice to have a better workflow between EIAS and AfterEffects... C4D has made some great improvements in this area (and from a recent post it seems that Adobe and Maxon are going to do more in this area:  http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2013/03/and-now-for-something-slightly-different-ae-and-cinema-4d.html).  Although simple to make requests like this, I can imagine the work involved would be pretty extensive, but maybe something to consider one bit at a time.

This is a very little thing, but I've noticed that when I import an OBJ file (or any other model file), Animator writes a Fact file to the same folder (makes sense). But if I import that original OBJ file from that folder into a new project at some other time, Animator will overwrite that Fact file - if I've changed my import setting this throws off the original project. I know I can export the model or move it to prevent this, but if it just wrote a differently named Fact to that folder that would help (leaving both intact). As I said - a very small issue, but potentially frustrating.

I have a suggestion that is more for the website than for any actual product.  It would be nice if things on the site were given more information.  For example -- there are a lot of tutorial videos and samples on the site, but it's difficult to tell just by browsing if the videos are current, what version of EIAS they apply to, and what product(s) were used in the video.  I often times have to go to Vimeo for each video just to see when it was posted, and hope that date is an accurate reflection of how old the actual content of the video is.

Another example are the shaders and plug-ins -- we'll just pick the Konkeptoine page for this example.  Where, on this page (http://www.konkeptoine.com/2nav/htm/2priceandorder.htm) is the VERSION of EIAS mentioned??  "Released, Porting, and Not Yet" don't tell me anything... as those could have been posted on that page years ago.  I have no idea if the page was updated yesterday, or last year.  I can see the "System and Host", which I guess means that these those shaders released for Mac Intel machines are only capable of being used in EIAS 5.5... except for Mr. Revolver which states EIAS 6 and is set to "Released" (with a price of "Price Below"... wherever "below" is, I don't know. So, I guess Mr. Revolver doesn't work with EIAS 7, 8, or 9?   Same with ReUnion Shader, except that is has "Not Yet" been ported.  Blobmaker states that it's only available for Universe 5.x - EIAS 6.x.... yet it clearly states that it has not been ported.  Yet I remember getting an update for it to work with EIAS 9 just last week.  Is this the same Blobmaker?  I have no idea -- as there are no dates and no version numbers to give me any indication as to where, in TIME, these pages stand.

So I'm a bit confused here (mostly wondering how new EIAS potential clients might feel if I'm somewhat confused).

So, I decide to check the forums for updates.  I go to the user Forums, click on EIAS Plug-ins and Shaders, as that is the ONLY logical place to find information on "plug-ins" and "shaders"... but I get little information there.  While randomly checking other forum areas I noticed that there are updates for plug-ins and shaders... in the "News" area.  uhhh... okay.

Then, a quick trip to the "Downloads" page and I can clearly see EIAS 9, the demo, sIBL files, the SDK... and then right under that a bunch of Free EIAS Plugins...  but they're all from 2008.  They do show a version number, which is nice, but I grow a bit suspicious of plug-ins that are five years old.... so.... on a page that shows nothing but EIAS 9 downloads, do these plug-ins have any relevance at all?  or is it just a confusing trap for an unsuspecting user?

I was wanting to update my inventory for EIAS, as I've upgraded to 9.x.... but I'm finding the task a bit more complex than I originally thought it would be.  I think it might be a good idea to update and organize the website.  It's just too difficult to find the information I need in a speedy manner.

Have one place for all products (including plug-ins)... showing version number, date of release, and exactly what versions of EIAS the downloadable items will work with, and on what platforms.  Also, revising the tutorials/videos to give an indication of release date, 

I can't say I'm upset with everything right now, as I've been around long enough to know where to go for most things... but a few things take a bit of hunting around for me... so I'm making this suggest in the hopes that it will be more helpful for those looking at EIAS as a new 3D tool.

Ola David,

Konkeptoine page is not ours, Its still David Argemi, we have our tools which we support and we are doing the 64 bits updates right now.

http://www.eias3d.com/products/konkeptoine-plugins/

We planned to update our tools dates in our website after our complete port, but it will take more time than we wanted.

As soon as possible we will update the links.

Thanks

Tom

• 2 months later...

Haven't seen too many newbies on this forum, could use some fresh blood around here. Maybe EI could sell an Educational Version! 

Maybe you could get Scott Simmons, the guy who did all of the EIv7 videos for VTC.com, to do a new set for V9.  His set of videos were the best. He was at livewire productions.  

Ola Steven!

You can see a student licenses direct email in our shop page, we received several requests since we released EIAS 9, since we have full focus to make EIAS more and more powerful, I don't have doubt we are bringing more attention to us. ;)

Side Note: we are always in contact with Scott Simmons..!

Thanks

Tom

• 3 weeks later...

Ola Joseph!

A long time ago, EI implemented one of my requests named “Magnets” which is basically a simple Muscle behavior.

I read a lot about the current Muscle systems around, we have our “to do” list, but we are always paying attention in the new features and ideas.

http://www.ottostudios.com/OTTOSTUDIOS/Tutorials/Entries/2003/11/18_Magnets_with_Character_Arm.html

We are running to bring a balance of Improvements, Optimizations and new features in our next upgrades!

Thanks

Tom