Modelers update: New Silo 2.2 and Modo 5.0.1 (and a curious Hexagon thing)

Juanxer

I've just received notice that Silo 2.2 is out. It seems Necercenter has been taking care of their Mac version's issues. It's a free update.

New in this version:

- Snapping Manipulator

- Export Scene

- Snow Leopard Support for OSX

- Bug Fixes and Stability

http://nevercenter.com/silo/download/

Also, Luxology released Modo 5.0.1. It adds, among other things, Pixar-style SDSs (they licensed it some time ago) that look like simplifying SDS hard surface modeling a lot via creasing techniques (at that, would Encage be compatible with these?).

Now, as a very strange move: the Daz guys are considering open-sourcing Hexagon: http://forum.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=153642&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=&sid=f22ac5bab4d508c88268fde484793132

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the info, I didn't realize Silo had an update. I was about to post the question to the EI Users: what are you using these day to model. I still find myself digging out EI Modeler. Silo sure. I was going to ask about Modo. Does it play nice with EIAS? I have a Cinema4D user that swears by Modo. I let my FormZ upgrades go bye bye. I mostly work in flying logos and opens for broadcast.

Jake

I just did today a bit of EIM modeling. Oh how I wish ViaCAD and the like were as carefree and easy as EIM in several respects. And that EITG would have managed to update it (at that, any news about Brad and company? How are they faring lately?)

Funny, I was working in Modeler just before I saw your post and was thinking exactly the same thing.

In the past a question like this has usually generated a response from Ian saying something like 'It's an ongoing project.'

I wonder if it still is?

I find Viacad so unintuitive compared to Modeler as well.

Michael.

Anyone using Modo with EIAS? I hear great things about Modo. Wonder how it works, or doesn't work with EIAS.

I can hardly believe we can work in EIM after so many system software updates over the years. Wonder when the last straw will be...

I've worked with Modo into EIAS ever since I saw eterra studios create Falling water. It was easy to hop on Modo since I was familiar with Modo and EIM. Funny that the tools are similar to various 3D apps. The various export methods from 3ds, maya and obj have worked for me. The only thing is that I have not painted models within Modo to export to EI. I use modo for hard surface / smooth bevel objects.

EIM is still my tool of choice and on the mac after I mapped multiple shortcuts to the program I'm a happy camper in keeping similar shortcuts from Modo to EIM.

• 3 months later...

Hexagon is definitely being worked on.

Looks like a bug fix version.

http://forum.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=157873&sid=2e2bdf3763231d99c63c78b1bd3b025e

You guys I was just browsing for 3d apps on mac and I found out that Hexagon is going through beta!

http://forum.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=163436&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=bd237cbb54a3ca0f5b64dfc8ef67bda4

I registered and downloaded the beta and it seem the current serial will expire next month. When you purchase the free beta it shows that they plan on testing until 2012.

Quick highlights solved 225 bugs. Updated the code. It works on my 3mo old Intel mac pro running S.L.