ReelMotion

gyroo

Hi I'm needing a bit of advice from anyone else that still has reelmotion running (Jens?) as I haven't used it for a while and have got stuck on one thing. I'm getting the motion into EIAS fine but need to adjust it a bit and i'm having trouble moving the animation in time.

the animation has a number of cars sequentially coming to stop in a line, one every half second. I've got all the individual motions but can't find a reasonable way to move them in the timeline to get the effect I need. Copying and pasting vast numbers of custom frames really doesn't appeal to me!

Cheers

DaveW

Answered my own question... Got the origional EI reelmotion plugin working in EI version 2.9! This has time offset and time scale options. So i'll bring the motions into V2.9 to tweak the timings and from there back into V8.

It would still be good to hear any suggestions of how to deal with moving custom frames around though.

Cheers

DaveW

Ola DaveW,

Im one of Reelmotion’s FAN, I have a G4 machine to run it with EIAS 2.9 :)

About custom frames, its simple, select your Animated Effectors:

1) Double click in each effector (project window / Xform tab), change position key from Implicit to Explicit.

2) in the project window with all Effectors selected (which came from Reelmotion) go to menu bar / Animation / Fit Selected objects to curve - Maximum Fit DIstance = 0.001.

Now you can drag around your animations in the timeline.

This will force all curves be baked in Keyframes in the best shape similar with your original animation with one keyframe per frame, if you use Maximum Fit Distance like 1.0, you will have only a few keyframes.

Hope this help

Thanks

Tom

It would be soooo nice to have ReelMotion...

But everywhere you ask for it: "no, i have it anymore and dont remember where i put it"

is the answer. Too bad. You guys, who have a working copy of it, are some lucky ones!

Much better and much more cool would be: to have a nice car sim in Animator...

Maybe some day. Sorry to hijack this thread.

Alex

Blair,

When Rainbow Studios Acquired Motional Realms and Rick Baltman joined the development team, I really thought Rainbow was the owner of the code. I'm glad to learn he gave it to you. I sincerely hope you find the time to make it up to date or pass the job to someone else for this could prove a great addition to the EIAS toolbox.

@Blair and all

Let me talk about 3D and Cars and EI

As far as i look back in the CG industry, there are lots of animators (pro and semi and hobby).

Everyone in the whole world is affiliated with cars, everyone in the job need one and, i am sure,

everyone has one. When it comes to 3D, most people in this industry have something to do with

design or with engineering or have their education built on it.

So, sooner or later most of us wanted to see their own car in the computer inside their main

3D app. If you ask me what is one of the main killer feature for an 3D app -> my answer is:

it has to do with cars.

When we look back in EIs history and all the beautiful images and renderings done with EI,

then you can see that everyone did sooner or later a job with: cars, all kind of cars, in all

flavours that are thinkable, big, small, one-wheeled, two-wheeled, bigfoot, with trailer, without

trailers, trucks, tanks, you name it....

It is because one of the main motors of our world is movement and movement with cars.

Its in everyones head and it looks like it will be there for the next decade of movement

even when we dont burn benzin in the next generation of cars instead of using electricity to

move.

So please, lets respect this world motor and give us a good carsim, i am sure that it will

not hurt any tree and not the air, but i am also sure, that all these animators outside will use

it and make good animations with it because its in our heads.

Alex

Shhh...don't tell anyone... I have the source code to Reelmotion. Rick Baltman gave the whole thing to me a while back and I planned to resurrect it. Now if I could only clone myself or become independently wealthy very quickly, I might actually have time to work on hobby projects like that.

Wow!!! I know its still far fetched, but even the idea of that made my day. Let us know what we can do to help either with the cloning, or the wealthy part.:)

• 2 weeks later...

Totally agree.

But what to do? We have no such tool for EI, there is no such tool

in general for 3D (on the Mac), the learning curve for Maya, c4d and

other is horrible and so on. So the only thing we can do is: give life to

this thread here, so that Blair sees that there is interest in such a tool

for us users. I am in the need for such a tool!

And i am talking about a tool that is usable for many of us, not only

the handful of people who has a (working dongle) copy of Reelmotion.

Maybe Blair can tell what he have paid for the code and someone like

me is willing to buy from Blair so that someone with knowledge of

making such software tools can finish a new version of Reelmotion or

Blair can give the code to sourceforge.net so that the community can

built a dynamicstool not only for Mac...or...or...

If we dont talk, nothing will ever happen.

But without humor its only half the fun :)

Alex

• 8 months later...

Shhh...don't tell anyone... I have the source code to Reelmotion. Rick Baltman gave the whole thing to me a while back and I planned to resurrect it. Now if I could only clone myself or become independently wealthy very quickly, I might actually have time to work on hobby projects like that.

How much $$$ would it actually take for you to port it OSX 10.6. Craft Animation in Maya doesn't compare with Reelmotion inertia, and dynamic fluidity. It's a shame for anyone to keep it under wraps.

> Is there something we can do to support/aid you to built the new REELMOTION?

One meeellllion dollars...and sharks with frickin' laser beams on top of their heads.

You are a monster to tease us like that Blair it up on will send a million iRobot to your house to probe you for the code.