Star Trek Thingie

Juanxer

Well, outing myself as a Trekker here :blush:, so rockets and spaceships it is (please don't shoot me :D). I did this ship in EIModeler and the hangar was my first ViaCAD project. At work I had to test Youtube's transcoding quality for a project, so I rendered and edited a few shots and came up with this. I should have put more effort into it, but I was feeling impatient. I think Youtube messed the gamma and things got darker than intended. Have fun.

Another one: this was a Xpressionist test (the blinkies, perhaps you remember that discussion at the EITG forums) plus importing camera movement into After Effects via MoCon (the blue vortex thing is a precomp floating in AE's 3D space). There was no attempt at better integrating the ship and the vortex. I leave that for when I try to develop that into a more interesting sequence of shots.

I think I used some, but it could be the result of combining the RT reflections with a couple global reflection maps, plus the motion blur from getting so near the hull with the camera movement.

The music is something I cooked in Apple's Logic Express (the prosumer version of Logic Pro).

• 1 month later...
Very nice renders. Maybe to give it a little more would be to add some smoke & steam effects in the hangar and lense flares, ala the new Star Trek movie, along with some highlight glares.

Thank you. And good suggestions: I loved that flare-fest a lot, and it would be fun to play with smokers, compositing and things.

A question: has anyone got a good recipe for uploading Quicktime-originated footage to Youtube without gamma issues? I've tried several codecs, including h.264 (which seems to have additional gamma problems of its own), always getting too contrasty results.

Juanxer

Do a search for X.264. It's a standalone package that will create high quality H.264 files that are superior to QuickTime Pro's version (which does seem to alter gamma and sometimes produces banding).

This is NOT an alternate codec, rather a simple application that exports your video files to H.264 the correct way -- the way you originally thought QuickTime Pro would. :)

There are Mac and Windows versions available.

Windows: http://sourceforge.net/projects/megui/

Macintosh: http://www003.upp.so-net.ne.jp/mycometg3/

This you find this helpful.