Socket - Landscape Generator

Also to my list it would be great to have a landscape Generator. On the Mac side of things there hasnt been a decent and simple landscape generator. I used to use Knolls Cybermesh and/or terrainman for use in EI. Now i have to go to more complex beast for a simple need.

The one we really need is Image2Mesh, it worked in (I think) 6.5 but hasn't been updated. It's too bad, It was free and worth a lot more than some of the plug-ins I have paid for.

Any way the new eias3d can take over I2M?

bw

Ok, whilst we are on the subject of landscape. Please can the situation with Conception Three Shaders be sorted out. A UB version exist but no one wants to sale me an upgrade!

By the way does EITG still own all the other Konkeptoine plugins or have these been sold to EIAS3D as well.

Cheers

Robert

Ps loving the new forums.

Unfortunately it has already been tried.

What do you need EXR2Mesh to do additionally? We would like to improve it :)

Ian

an X and Z dimension and resolution settings

mask threshold, as setting to select a level at which no polygons will be made.

ability to use animation files

I currently have EXR2Mesh 1.0b1 and I can't make a smooth mesh. The angle settings don't seem to do anything. Y height setting will change in Animator but not in Camera.

Image2Mesh used B-Splines to create polygons between pixels, this would generate very smooth surfaces from relatively low res images.

thanks!

brian

Hello Brian

I currently have EXR2Mesh 1.0b1 and I can't make a smooth mesh. The angle settings don't seem to do anything. Y height setting will change in Animator but not in Camera.

We would like to hear your propositions how to improve EXR2Mesh but first please look at beta2 vers of the plug-in :rolleyes:

One thing: in Camera (but not in Animator) it's possible to crete a dense mesh nearby camera and low-resolution mesh in other areas (although some probs in animation are possible). If you think it's interested / usable, we're waiting for your UI design screenshots.

Hello Brian

We would like to hear your propositions how to improve EXR2Mesh but first please look at beta2 vers of the plug-in :rolleyes:

One thing: in Camera (but not in Animator) it's possible to crete a dense mesh nearby camera and low-resolution mesh in other areas (although some probs in animation are possible). If you think it's interested / usable, we're waiting for your UI design screenshots.

Hi Ian - where can I get the beta2?

brian

this sounds great, I guess it could be setup like alpha fog. A resolution could be set and used in Animator then a factor could be applied for the resolution as the object gets closer to the camera. Like in the fog settings you could have a outer radius which would use the Animator setting and an inner radius which would apply the factor setting to the resolution.

Could you do incrementally increased resolution from outer to the inner radius or would it be just two settings?

brian

post-75-13269393550674_thumb.jpg[attachment=11]

I have the beta version2 and I'm still having trouble making a smooth surface. I created the image in PhotoShop as a 32-bit RGB and saved as an EXR.

not sure if the problem is the source file or the settings in the plug-in. I'm not using the plug-in blur and the adaptive settings are at 0.

Hello Brian

I have the beta version2 and I'm still having trouble making a smooth surface. I created the image in PhotoShop as a 32-bit RGB and saved as an EXR.

not sure if the problem is the source file or the settings in the plug-in. I'm not using the plug-in blur and the adaptive settings are at 0.

Project + EXR file please. It will not be fixed tomorrow but considered in next beta.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, Mike

I'm using UB3 (Mac) and I can't seem to get a smooth mesh, maybe I'm doing something wrong?

1) Please use beta4 (attached) where a major bug (reported by Brian White) is fixed.

2) Your EXR image has only 255 values (i.e. it's a copy of 8-bits image saved as EXR). You need first save 8-bits image as EXR and THEN blur it.

In next builds we'll add image info/histogram to avoid such confusions

3) You're not first who tries to use EXR2Mesh in a role of "adaptive displacement:" :rolleyes: That is, of course, interested challenge, but, speaking technically, "height map" (EXR2Mesh) and "adaptive displacement" are different things/tasks.

EWXR2Mesh_b4(MacUB).zip

My reasoning for using this in place of a displacement is:

1) I can export the resulting mesh and use it as a model, it renders without all the calculations this way.

2) I can see it without rendering it. (unless there's a setting to show displacements in EI, although that would still be less responsive than a model that's generated once).

I realize part of the real power of this plugin is the animation capability. But the ability to use a map to generate models (from terrain to intricate logos based on a gradient map) quickly is the main reason I miss image2mesh, I applaud this effort. :)