Car Paint

S. Houtzager

Have always found getting a good "car paint" setting out of EI a big challenge.  It either looks like glossy plastic or like a christmas ornament when I give it a go.  I have given MForge a go and the metal flakes look good but I am after just normal car paint.  Something like this:

red.jpg

All other programs use a layer approach to achieve this.  Any input is most welcome.  :D

Hi Steve,

Just a tip. Use the specular colour as your reflection colour ( ie: same as diffuse colour) and keep refection as white (or tinted just a bit.). Don't use the diffuse colour in the reflection (Christmas Tree).

Soft blur in Raytrace if you want.

A reflection map in the raytrace world slot (HDRI preferably) and you should get close.

Try that and let me know how you go, I can post some but I render in Gamma 2-2.2) so would be different.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/t0j85v7jhti9jqe/AABtjCjlutdatwT1J15rLyWha?dl=0

Just put a few snaps here if that is what you are after. Some materials as well. I use maps in the Diffuse channel but they are just a plain colour flat mapped in diffuse. Don't use colour maps in the Spec, they are greyscale only.

BUT, I multiply the diffuse map for 2.2 gamma.

One more thing is to literally and another clear coat to your paint. I know you use FormZ so you could use the 'thicken" tool in FMZ and add another high reflective "glass coat" by adding the body as another "thickened" object.

You can play with that a lot. Refraction, transmission etc.

Just another option.

Hi Steve,

It seems those materials will not work in Gamma 1.0 without adjusting. I have uploaded a comparison image 2.2 V 1.0.

Don't be too critical, this is just a quick test.

This is a simple sIBL scene one rendered in 2.2 with maps multiplied (in this case only the car paint has a map) and the other in 1.0. All settings that should work in either.

No Photons.

I can upload the scene if you want to explore but it has a trick I use. Not HDRI in HDRI slot and not "object Area light sphere / dome mapped with HDRI". Quicker than the latter (too many area lights) but similar result.

Cheers,

I do like Paul Sherstobitoff some of those renders with the glass look really nice. i really can't get realistic glass out of EIAS. think maybe i should make that a focus of a project to see how close i can get it. on a side note been looking at mFORGE but unsure as yet looks really handy.

I did a quick test just now, here are the result with no specular, just playing around with HDR reflection maps and edge control. GI render

01_zpsssmcignb.jpg

here are another test with specular with added shader in camera projection map, I add thin film shader and gradient shader, doesn't looks that real, but it looks quite interesting.

02_zps4qezgho1.jpg

Edit: Something wrong with the image link just now, updated with the new one