Paper Airplane

hillsville

Hi, it is usually best to do your modeling in a dedicated program like Silo or FormZ, etc. and then bring it in to EI for motion and rendering. After you bring in the model you do have options for changing the shape using Deformations (Animation/Deformation Editor) but these are limited to simple bends, waves, bezier curves, etc. and not something sophisticated like folding paper several times because you don't have much control of polygons in EI. 

There is a plugin from Northern Lights called Contortionist that gives you much more control but again it is not able to fold repeatably at different angles. -Derryl

Hi,

Thank you for taking time to respond.

I never thought about triangles -- I will try that.

I do have contortionist -- I will  try to make the folds??

I did try deformation --  I wasn't able to make precise folds.

I also made the many complicate cuts in modeler -- but I don't know how to

make the 45º fold.

I will try the suggestions and will let you know.

Richards Idea … is amazingly practical

… and if you take each fold step and save it as it's own program (picking up where the last fold left off) I think you'll find it to be easier to work with to fold and then unfold it

… and I'd probably work backwards starting with the folded unit … if this makes sense. I think you will want to get all your parameters set with the folded piece, lighting, angles cam movements first … then add additional cam movement for each unfold/fold (if needed) … 

because each program is one fold you can then duplicate the fold animation and reverse it … and you are only dealing with two actions/animations to render per program …

Hope this makes sense …