Lion Compatibility - Loaded Question(s)

Gigayoda

Hi Gang,

I was wondering a few things. First and foremost has EI 8 & 9 been tested in OSX Lion. Reason being is that I attempted to purchase Final cut pro and my video card was not up to par I have a 2008 mac 3,1 and the video card doesn't support Open CL. I'm guessing that part of the Lion enhancement will be with drivers. This leads to the second question, is the new EI Open CL and Open GL enabled? (Open CL for fast interface since that seems to be one of the speed bumps I real the old discussion about pros and cons)

Now for a question that I've asked over the years. Has anyone had a chance to test EIM in Lion beta? What modelers have you tested in Lion that work? This is one of the deal breakers for me but I also work on apps that will require me to upgrade to Lion. I saw Silo, Shade and Strata is selling now through the App Store and that is a bit of a relief in knowing that being in the App Store I can be anywhere and access my app without a dongle but an online verification method. I don't own any of these but I'm curious if you guys see EI's roadmap heading in that direction at all?

Finally, I was reading Final Cut pro formats and I was wondering with the new version it seems some formats either need to be ported or are no longer supported. In any case for those of you who currently use FC Studio do you still use image, png sequence or quicktime + alpha? What do you guys recommend for FCP or Motion editing?

Thanks a bunch.

>What do you guys recommend for FCP or Motion editing?<

Since i cant get .img with Motion4 to work, i choose PNG in that case.

Or i convert .img to MOV with animation codec, works fine.

And with Motion5 i dont know, i have to wait for some customer to pay

their bills so i can buy FCPX with Motion5 and Compressor5.

As soon i have these Apps, i will come back to you.

FinalCutPro7 is able to work with .img when the EI-Quicktime component is installed (from Toby Thain -> Link).

The problem with Lion is: as far as i understood there is no QuickTime

as engine anymore, so we have to wait and look what comes then.

Alex

Thanks guys. I'll be on stand by and wait for Lion release. Alex I to am waiting on some receivables to upgrade my mac and FCPX bundle is in cue but looking at the purchase triggered my concern about full compatibility as Juanxer mentioned Rosetta is supposed to be eliminated. I did read Apple is working with quicken to have a "built in Rosetta" emulator to run Quicken 07 since so many user like it so much. Similar to Win users liking XP still over Win 7.

I will try to update my status as well as I upgrade. Thinking of partitioning my drives so I can always fall back to Snow Leopard.

Oftentimes Quicktime-based apps can work with Quicktime Reference-type movies derived from .IMGs: instead of transcoding the .IMG movie into a standalone .MOV file, you save a lightweight reference .MOV which only contains the Quicktime-friendly track data and pointers to the original .IMG. You could try that for Motion.

(You'll need to install the Electricimage Quicktime component, in any case)

Oftentimes Quicktime-based apps can work with Quicktime Reference-type movies derived from .IMGs: instead of transcoding the .IMG movie into a standalone .MOV file, you save a lightweight reference .MOV which only contains the Quicktime-friendly track data and pointers to the original .IMG. You could try that for Motion.

(You'll need to install the Electricimage Quicktime component, in any case)

I know that, but it did not work in Motion4 for me, everywhere else it worked fine.

I could only see the first frame of an animation, same with .img in Motion4.

Alex

• 4 weeks later...

Ola,

My tests so far only showed a “cosmetic†issue on EIAS 9 Interface :)

Thanks

Tom

running Lion on an external HD because i can't trust the lack of rosetta right now.

EIAS seems to have lost imageplayer (not a big issue) and Transporter is now dead as well. I havent fully tested EIAS 8 yet. Although i have noticed with some apps that Preferences files get corrupted and just have to be deleted. of course the the job would be easier if apple hadn't hidden the User Library folder form view.

anyone else seeing any issues.

Also i had a thought that you can emulated OSX Snow leopard server on parallels and that might be my solution for EIM and older PPC code apps i need to still use.

Hi I ordered a new imac at the end of june for my music stuff, I ordered at that time because knew if I waited a little longer a new mac would ship with lion, which I knew could be a problem since this no more rosetta thing. This kind of breaking software really makes me mad but there seems to be nothing we can do about it.

Mark

of course the the job would be easier if apple hadn't hidden the User Library folder form view.

In OS X 10.5 and later you can use the "chflags" terminal command to show and hide files and folders. Open the Terminal and issue the command:

chflags nohidden ~/Library

to show your Library folder in the Finder. Use

chflags hidden ~/Library

to hide the Library folder again.