Modelling software

vic3d

I use SharkFX v7 for solids modeling. Excellent export. It's cheaper version ViaCAD Pro does a good job, but with fewer high-end features. Demos are available.

Of course there is FormZ -- I use that on occasion as well. Export is a little tricky to get right. Demo available as well. 

I use FormZ mostly as well but lately I have been loving Rhino.  It just has sooooo many pluggins and add ons that individuals and universities have done and don't charge a dime for. Then there is grasshopper which is a free node based program that works with Rhino to make parametric models that can show you tons of options in seconds. Look at Food4rhino.com to see the add ons.

been using Modo and recently started using the beta of Rhino on the mac - tried using ViaCAD Pro for a while - It does have a good FACT export but for really big complex models it can be a bit unstable and slow... Rhino is still being developed but looks pretty solid.

Also tried FormZ and never could get a good model exported - FACT, OBJ - nothing worked. Had extensive conversations with AutoDesSys - models would not tesselate correctly and would not smooth no matter what settings I used.

brian

Hello Vic,

I use FormZ V7. Have used FromZ V5 for years but V7 is great. Takes getting used to but it is fast. Fac export can be tricky, I always have to triangulate the whole model before export, even if it is set to triangulate upon export.

Exporting from FormZ as .obj works everytime though so I use that mostly now.

What OS are you on? I do a lot of Archi work too and get sent Revit models a lot, I think it is only Win though. They seem to export well as .obj to EIAS as well.

Good luck.

Last Universe 6.0 EIM Modeler?  HA!  Not by a long shot Mondoman:-)  EIM absolutely _rocks_, and we desperately need it to be ported to the new OS. (I would pay dearly for it.  Rename it Phoenix, and let it rise from the ashes Tomas! ;-)  But then..., I may be biased, since I beta tested it all those years ago.  I use it almost always.  But when necessary, I hold my nose and use Maya.  Maya's math is extremely powerful.., but the interface is right out of the 1980's (Yuck).  Chip.

Chip, i am with you -except Maya (never understand that app)-

EI Modeller was the only modeler, that works as i expected him to work.

Of course there are some glitches over time and you have to keep 10.6.8

for using it (or install an virtual server on Maveriks to use 10.6.8 and EIM)

but for the last 25 years i can say that EIM was the best solution to work

with EIAS when you need to model something.

Most of you know my AC-COBRA, she was complete done in EIM, ok

it took me 1,5 years to finish it, but it was worth - all the 2,7 million polys!

So i use my 27" iMac from 2011 with 10.6.8 and EIM for the next 10 years

when i have to model something. The only thing EIM wasn't as good as other

modellers was conversion of other file formats. But for that case i use PolyTrans.

Alex

You said it perfectly, Alex-

EIM really _does_ work as you would expect (99% of the time ;-), and that's it's best feature.  It's intuitive, the math is great, and the tools _make sense_!  There are definitely 8-10 things that would need to be fixed, if it ever returns.  But it's truly an amazing first modeler software effort, and Kishore and Matt should be commended.  I have an old 4-core Motorola machine, and 8-core Intel machine with 10.6.8.  So I should be OK with the Modeler for some time.  I've been trying to learn Maya for years (literally), and have been able to create complex models.  But it's SO awkward and difficult to organize and control your files :-(  Your Cobra looks amazing!  Is there a high-res image posted on the EI website somewhere?  Chip

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you all for your answers, they are very useful.  I will stick with formZ for now but I downloaded the Rhino for mac too, I'll check it out.  I have never had problems exporting to EIAS, it really works great, but I only do architectural work (no complicated shapes I need to triangulate).  The only problem I have with FormZ is that this last project was a 25Km stretch of highway through some mountains.  Editing and reshaping a terrain model was no fun at all.  Especially one that large.  I hope that Rhino is better at this.

I'll post some clips of the animation as soon as I am legally allowed.

Again, thank you all.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for your answers, they are very useful.  I will stick with formZ for now but I downloaded the Rhino for mac too, I'll check it out.  I have never had problems exporting to EIAS, it really works great, but I only do architectural work (no complicated shapes I need to triangulate).  The only problem I have with FormZ is that this last project was a 25Km stretch of highway through some mountains.  Editing and reshaping a terrain model was no fun at all.  Especially one that large.  I hope that Rhino is better at this.

I'll post some clips of the animation as soon as I am legally allowed.

Again, thank you all.

You should try Archicad... works well for architectural work !

You can have a look a WWW.LNAMEL.COM to see our work - all models from archicad (with homemade parametric objects) + some extra made with sketchup (grass is made with fur tool and added separately in EIAS). All rendering is EIAS. Even the older one starting in 1998...

You should try Archicad... works well for architectural work !

You can have a look a WWW.LNAMEL.COM to see our work - all models from archicad (with homemade parametric objects) + some extra made with sketchup (grass is made with fur tool and added separately in EIAS). All rendering is EIAS. Even the older one starting in 1998...

Thank you rvlna, very nice projects.

• 4 weeks later...

In V9.1 there is an option to export as a "validated fac".

So if you were modelling in FormZ and had exported your model as .fac to EIAS, you could then make changes in FormZ and export a new .fac file with the same name (ie: overwrite the old one).

Then from EIAS you export your old model as validated .fac and it will replace it with the new one (and keep a copy of the old one on file) with textures and material in place.

Hope that helps.