Best plug-in for grass

Buggsy

Hi tom,

maybe it is not the right place to write about it but i have written 3 times to blair and still no answer.

it has been three or four months since,

is there a way to communicate with him that i do not know of?

To stay in this topic, i used to work with placer deposit, but since it does not work any more i use Zbrush fibers. The fac are very heavy but it still renders so fast.

thanks 

Guy Lessard

post-838-0-70504500-1386110411_thumb.jpg

Hi Michael,

I mostly use FormZ for the standard architecture (straight walls...).

I have a background in architecture so it was on of my first tool at the time.

When there is something organic or curvy i use Zbrush but the models are very heavy, i use it only to give the image a less synthetic look. 

curtains, sheets, grounds, grass even stone walls....

Guy

Thanks for posting Guy!

So is this how you used to use placer deposit? You commented, "i used to work with placer deposit, but since it does not work any more i use Zbrush fibers. The fac are very heavy but it still renders so fast".

If placer deposit doesn't work what are my options Tom?

Michael

Beautiful, really.

Now, looking at the first render, I eyeballed it as a 4 feet X 6 feet patch of grass.

How about testing an average frontyard, let say a patch of 30 feet by 50 feet...?

As long as you are doing all the work, how about 100 feet X 100 feet field? Larger than that would not really be necessary for a still picture.

Sucking up mode ON

Tu travailles vraiment bien!

Sucking up mode OFF

Does that gets me the test images...?

merci pour les compliments !

Usually for larges grass fields, i put grass  objects only on specifics places: foregrounds, bases of trees, sides of the buildings, fondations walls.

I try to reduce the grass objects count as low as possible.

of course there is a lot of photoshop too do but for standard architectural renders, this way is the faster and the cheaper.

For very nices renderings, i hope the new plugin 64 bit will do the trick....  tests to come....

• 7 months later...

Been meaning to respond to this for a while so here goes.

Placer looks like the tool but it is not working under Win 7 only Mac. Spoken to Blair, tried his quick fix, no avail. Since I've changed to Win I couldn't tell you how it goes speed for rendering, speed wise opposed to proxy plugin.

I have been using proxy. A 1m x 1m square of grass, 3D modelled. Has 4 different materials / groups for variation. Basically I have been stamping that around with proxy plugin, works well, kills rendering time though.

Recently though I have been doing the same thing but just setting the grass to render as phong, much quicker rendering. Looks pretty good from a distance. But then for close up the other thing is I set it to be a mask and then lay in Photoshop or whatever a real grass field in perspective, on top, blend via adjustments to taste.

Much quicker and in some ways easier to control. Haven't done it animated though.

Personally, I have a pretty good workflow and set of tools to do what I want to do.  I mention Fiber Forge ONLY because it used to "exist" and no extra work would be involved in "theory".  Thank you for the answer....  I look forward to whatever is next on your list of updates to EI...   whatever it is I'm sure it will be something ill find a way to use creatively!!  

I might have to look into what Placer Deposit can do... in sort of "weird" abstract "graphic design" ways....   I do love messing with various tools and creating imagery those tools were not

naturally intended for in the first place...   

:)