Turbo Squid & EIAS3d

Buggsy

Hi,

Been a while since I was here.

Was wondering if anyone can give some feedback and suggestions on purchasing models from Turbo Squid, for use in Electric Image. I need to buy some furniture for my internal architectural scenes.

The obvious one is format. I am on EIAS v8.0 and don't have the funds to be able to migrate to EIAS v9.0 yet, but hope I can soon.

So are there any pathways I need to follow? I have no modeling program to tweak things in so I need it to work straight out of the box or find a way that does't violate use terms of Turbo Squid.

Let me know.

Many Thanks

Michael

Thanks Alex,

I've had mixed experiences with this workflow. Sometimes there is missing geometry, or all the normals are backwards and inside out or there isn't appropriate smoothing of the normals for the object to render properly in EI.

Anyone else got an alternate workflow? Or maybe a modelling program that can support import, tweaking, creation and export with predictable results in EI. I have looked at buying a modelling program but I can't find anything that appears to work really well with EI.

Comments and help are much appreciated.

Michael

No way, max is proprietary.

The only way to use max files in EI is via Polytrans (when you have the max plugin)

or to open in 3DStudio and export the file as a readable format for EI.

Sorry to say that.

But you can dl 3DStudio when you are a teacher/student/instructor or something

like that for free .....  ;)

Alex

• 2 months later...

I did a project for Hal Meyer where I use a Turbo Squid model. I use Maya so that format was available. FBX would be a good format since EIAS opens it well.

However, I found Turbo Squid models integrity can be slightly questionable so go for the better quality models if they have it.  The FBX animation needed a lot of reworking as well.

It's a good jump start if you need to turn around a sample right a way, but it takes a bit of work to skin smoothly if the models are built well.  In some cases the models are good for a base to retopolize.

Just my experience.

I started typing and realised this was an old topic but here goes.

I have used Turbo Squid for years and I find their models expensive and unreliable. Unless you pay top dollar. The support is more helpful nowadays but I have had 3 refunds in the last month or so. Satisfying but doesn't get the job done.

Plus most of the models on there are available elsewhere.

For furniture (top notch).

http://www.designconnected.com/

For fittings this one is great (there are others but you being Aussie!):

http://www.yepsketch.com/

For everything (not so reliable always and only 3DS)

http://archive3d.net/

For Cars (really good and affordable. They custom as well.)

http://humster3d.com/

Always obj. UV's etc are all good into EIAS V9.

V8 EIAS. The only way I could get 3DS UV mapped models into EIAS was via Polytrans. Make sure you check the 1 to 1 scale on export. Then set UV space in EIAS. That's in 8. 9 does it fine :-)

You could also use Mesh Lab. But free EIAS 9.1 would be the go.

Mesh Lab is really good for poly reduction. It's free and works well. Keeps UV's in tact as well. Imported mapped models like trees etc., reduce the polys and still export with UV's in tact. Polytrans does it too and is pretty bullet proof if you can check all the correct boxes!!