Flock This question

Hi there

Can anyone who has the 'Flock This' plugin tell me if I would be able to create travelling cars on a road?  With a main feature to be able to switch from heavy traffic to little traffic.

They would basically only need to stay in lane and at a certain distance from each other.  Also it would be nice if they could slow down at intersections if there is traffic in the way.  This might be too much to ask but if anyone has any ideas, that would be a massive help.

Thanks

Al

Hi Tom

I think with this situation, I could just add a spinning wheel movie on the wheels and that would be ok as the camera will not be going too close.

Does Flock This have the ability to keep the objects on a path? (to keep the cars in lane) From the examples I can see that it will stop collisions and follow terrain, but it shows the objects with a random movement.

So maybe I could tell all cars to follow A Leader and the Terrain without any random sideways movement, sort of like how ants follow each other in a line.  Is this possible with the plugin?

Thanks

Al

Hey Al,

If you go back thru the archives of movies posted by EI there is a car commercial with tons of cars.  It might give you some ideas.  It was probably done by hand because there is an overlap of one car into another which is very hard to pick out. 

It is in >gallery >TV/Film >page 3

• 1 month later...

Al...  if your going to composite this... I have great luck in After effects with the TWIXTOR PRO plug in for retiming....  its the best at this in graphics.   If you can get your car scene simply moving at a medium pace and render it in its own pass...

in AE you can accelerate and bring to a smooth stop and vary the cars pacing.    I use it for all kinds of EI effects that need to be altered by a client and I dont have time to re render.    Its truly amazing and hi quality.   Ive used it for years and its 

tech was part of a tech achievement academy award \ oscar thingy....   just another possibility... :)

Scott

Supernova VFX