Alternative to AE for EIAS compositing in OS X

Aziz

I think some of us are looking at possible alternatives to After Effects to composite our EIAS projects after Adobe's recent announcement. I'm not debating the pros and cons of that move. Just would like to highlight an ongoing Kickstarter project to get Hitfilm, a PC based editiing/effects/compositing tool ported to OS X.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fxhome/hitfilm-for-mac

I'm not affiliated with the company in any way. It would be good to have more options in our toolbox :-)

Aziz.

• Like 1

I'm thinking maybe he is talking about Adobe going to an all subscription model for CS6 moving forward (now called Creative Cloud) - you don't buy the software you pay $50 per month (30 for existing customers) - If you always buy the updates when released, it's a good deal. If you buy a version and then skip updating for several years it will be more expensive. It also makes it more difficult to pirate.

https://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud.html?promoid=KCHGQ

You can still buy CS6 but I think moving forward it will be all subscription. I haven't heard about how they will handle individual apps.

brian

Yes, Brian's right. I was referring to Adobe's new subscription only model. It's great for some of us and not so great for others.

I fall into the category of not renewing at every version of CS. My personal experience as a freelancer has taught me to minimise my subscriptions as much as possible. Just paying the basic utility bills can be a bit difficult at times, so I'd like to space apart my software investments.

Actually I miss the days of Photoshop 7 (prior to CS). I legally buy all my work related (and non-work) software but find some developer anti-piracy mechanism makes life more difficult for the honest buyer. Despite, once upon a time, wishing EIAS would be dongle free, I now find dongles the least hassle when I have to reinstall software or recover from some HD malfunction.

Aziz.

It also makes it more difficult to pirate.
No, it does not. You still install your software locally, which makes it just as vulnerable.... http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/05/08/Adobe-photoshop-cc

I had decided that CS6 was my last upgrade a couple of months before Adobe made their move so frankly I don't care that much....but it is a move based on pure greed, nothing else.

i use the adobe subscription via work. but im not a fan of it. i have to relog in often with my adobe ID. which is fine unless im not connected to the internet which happens at times. so that annoying. so ill stick to my photoshop CS5.

Im getting a bit tired of all these subscription models. MS with office, spotfity for music, adobe for graphics. at the end of the day everyone is doing it and if i rented my all software i would be paying hundreds a month. instead i upgrade and own my software when i can afford it, which is a better model for me. photoshop now a days is total overkill so i dont need every new version every year. and i think adobe know that now and so they can see they profits crashing down is they dont do this. but for the freelancer or individual this is a bad deal, what if you cant pay for it for a month, then it deactivates and your out of luck. i think people like to own a house and not rent a mansion. which is what adobe is forcing people to do.

As far as I can tell, the subscription so far is only for Creative Cloud which is like every app they sell.

I only really need PhotoShop, Illustrator, and After Effects. I wonder if we will be able to buy (not rent) individual apps.

bw

It's a total rip off for a freelancer and those on tight incomes or a really small studio which, a lot of the ones I know,

don't upgrade every year ,but now they will have to pay this all the time.Forever.

And They can't access the files they create if Adobe cuts them off.

It's unbelievable that they're trying this strategy.

There could be grounds for a class action lawsuit here if after paying for use of the software you subsequently can't access or use the files you created even in a limited way.The license would have to be examined.What does it say and what are you buying?

If you're looking for a fulltime job and you're making squat you will have to pay the piper

to know what's going on with the new versions.

Remember when, about 10 years ago,  Adobe just starting buying out the competition instead of competing with them.  Macromedia comes to mind.  This should have never been allowed to happen imho.  But there was a "deregulation" movement going on and it was allowed.  It did not even raise a few eyebrows. Monopolies can just do whatever they want.

I had my worries about the Creative Cloud (subscription-based model) at first... but I've been a subscriber for a year now, and I have to say I really like it.  Keep in mind that I use a LOT of their applications, so having all of their "creative" applications to work with at a low monthly cost is a real "win" for me.  Updates come out often, and being able to get (or reject -- my choice) updates as they come along is very nice.  The additional tools available only to CC subscribers is also nice (but these are mostly for those who deal with online creation -- such as websites, online fonts, etc.).

About once a month you are asked to enter your username and password to verify that you are up-to-date on your subscription.  I've run into this while traveling for work -- where I was no connected to the internet.  It allowed me to continue to work with the applications even though I could not "verify" my credentials due to a lack of internet access.  I believe they have a pretty lengthy 'window' of time that you are allowed to work without verification before the applications actually stop.  When I originally asked about this I believe they said that the applications would run another month without access before they stopped working and required internet verification.  I'm not typically void of internet access for an entire month, so this is not an issue for me.

• Like 1

Hi My brother just called me about this ,saying , do you know you can't buy the new version , you have to rent the whole Creative Cloud at 50 dollars a month. He said all kinds of people,  on photo sites, He goes to, are super mad. I  know when it first started you could still buy copies,  if you wanted . He says no more , you can only rent.  I think adobe is going down the wrong path , making a lot of people mad.  

Mark

I see it will work for many people, but for me it will be much more expensive.  I just use 3 of Adobe's programs and I don't upgrade them on an exact time table.  I skip updates and update them when I need them or have to because of an OS upgrade.  

Just watched a video about Autodesk doing the same thing.  The things you can do when you have a near monopoly.