Speed comparison

atlantis23

I have a "secondary stress test" project containing complicated reflections and refractions lit by GI.

EIAS 8 renders the scene in 12 h 38 min 20 sec (single thread):

http://atlantis23.co...neglass_7_1.jpg

EIAS 9 renders the same scene in 9 min 43 sec (8 threads):

http://atlantis23.co...eglass_7_14.jpg

Based on the same number of threads the new renderer is about 10 times faster than the old one. The GI settings are pretty low. And to be fair, some refractions are more accurate in the EIAS 8 render.

Ola Atlantis!

About reflections difference (v8 and v9), you made your light and GI window use Irradiance, but your glass material is not using it.

It will render slower, but you will achieve a better transparency, reflection and refraction.

Go to Glass transparency tab, Enable “Use Raytrace” check box (it was already checked), but..

post-5-0-80959500-1353719377_thumb.png

In the Raytrace Options tab, change the GI cache, from “Layers” to “Irradiance”, thats the final trick.

post-5-0-07413000-1353719480_thumb.png

Here your simple project changed attached:

snapshot.zip

Note: This is the trick we use now to have GI + Clipping maps amazingly fast, the “leafs” of Trees with clipping maps, need to have Raytrace check box enabled in the Transparency tab and GI Cache as Irradiance to render as a rocket :)

Hope that helps

Thanks

Tom

It will render slower, but you will achieve a better transparency, reflection and refraction.

Yes, this is what the manual says, too. Strange enough, render times go up when using the Irradiance setting for transparency (13 vs. 9 min). This is why I used Layers for all transparent materials. I forgot to update the green glass material, though. When I adjust this one, it renders even a little faster (9:8 vs. 9:43 min).

BTW the cores are accounted for in my calculation. EIAS 8 isn't this slow, after all. ;)

"BTW the cores are accounted for in my calculation. EIAS 8 isn't this slow, after all."

Can you please clarify this atlantis. Thomas says, "1 core against your 8 cores, EIAS 9 vs EIAS 8 is almost 72 times faster".

I want to know the real performance gain, as I'm guessing this will feed into quicker production times. The figures that are being thrown around seem to be inconsistent? I'm sure its faster, but really how much, and in what real production terms?

Michael

Ola Michael,

Even with my tips to make the reflections / refractions improved, you will have:

EIAS 8 - 12 h 38 min 20 sec (single thread) Vs 13 min (8 threads) = 58 times faster

And with Transparencies using the old method which is even more faster

EIAS 8 - 12 h 38 min 20 sec (single thread) Vs 9 min (8 threads) = 84 times faster

EIAS 8 is really really slower, even using one core against one core, probably is 10 times faster or more, which is amazing, dont you think?

Simple test:

Get the Demo and render this project:

http://www.eias3d.co...9-optimization/

We have here 120 times faster difference with 8 cores.

Thanks

Tom

Ok, did my own speed comparison between V8 and V9.

Rendering is around 6 to 7 times faster for the work I do, which is always welcome, but certainly less than some of the figures here. The quality of the render is different, but in a good way.

The one thing I'm worried about though is the speed of the re-draw in hardware mode. Has the better quality representation come at the expense of speed? Or am I missing a setting or something? V8 was lighting faster in hardware mode, but v9 is tolerable.

Michael

Hi All

Here are some tech explanations.

About render speed:

EI8 simply used "brute force" with RT reflections/refractions. For example a pixel with reflective material is shaded. With default AA 4x4 there are 16 initial reflection rays. For every ray hits something - do calc GI there. With default "GI secondary = 50" we've 16 * 50 = 800 rays. With mutual and/or blurred reflections this amount becomes huge because rays' propagation is kinda "chain reaction". So brute force provides quality, but with inacceptable slow render time. That's why EI9 uses principally new techniques for this.

About hardware preview

the render is different, but in a good way. The one thing I'm worried about though is the speed of the re-draw in hardware mode. Has the better quality representation come at the expense of speed? Or am I missing a setting or something? V8 was lighting faster in hardware mode, but v9 is tolerable
Yes. hardware "phong" preview is faster in EI8 because it was not "phong" there :shy: (same "gourand" with limited abilities). EI9 provides true hardware phong preview using OpenGL shaders. In other words EI8 shaded "every vertex", but EI9 "every pixel" in this mode

Generally a task "better speed and quality" has no limits, simply it should be better and better in any new version of app