FormZ model import issue

thingmaker

If you create a model in FormZ, say a simple cube and export it with the setting "Extended Precision Coordinates" checked, it will crash EI every time for me (Mac OS 10.5.8). Also happens v7 on a different computer.

You get "Assertion failed on line 2004 of file /Development/EIAS 8.0.0/EIAS Project/Animator Sources/TriD/TriD_GLEngine.cpp."

Even if it is FZ's fault in creating a mangled file, it would be nice if EI handled it more gracefully than just aborting/crashing. Thanks! -dr

dr,

this "extended precision coordinates" thing has never worked (I've tried once or twice, years ago), and to be true, I don't even know what it's good for. I've never had a problem without this option, things were as precise as they should be. So simply forget about this mega-turbo-crashing switch, you don't need it :-)

Bernd

Thanks Bernd. Yes, I never select the "Have EI crash horribly" button. The problem is when someone sends a FZ file (and clicks everything, just to be sure...), you are pulling your hair out trying to find out why it is crashing. There is no way to tell if someone has checked that or not.

Would probably be best if the EI import could be written to ignore that part. -dr

Maybe this will help (From the FZ manual):

---

Extended Coordinate Precision: When this option is on, coordinate data is written as 10 byte floating point numbers. When this option is off, it is written as four byte floating point numbers.

With Extended Coordinate Precision on, files are bigger but more accurate. If you plan to open the FACT file with form•Z or any other modeling application, this option will give you the best results. For rendering applications, the extended accuracy is usually not required.

---