Asteroid Collision

interstellar

Hi Everyone,

Here is my newest animation:

http://www.joetucciarone.com/a-collision.mov

It depicts a collision between asteroids; something thought to have recently occurred in the asteroid belt. What is significant for me is that the dusty, smokey effect was produced without Dante. It required 300 (!) textured spheres. Each sphere was positioned, rotated, moved and faded by hand . . . a job that took three weeks!

No, I'm not a masochist - I simply needed a flamey, smokey effect. I was surprised I could do it although Dante would have made this so much easier!

Joe Tucciarone

Hi Alex & Aziz,

Thank you both for your nice comments!

Alex, you are right: sometimes, it is worthwhile to build something from scratch this way. It can make animation a craft, even if it takes a lot of effort.

Hi Aziz - the asteroids (and a few small rock fragments) were created with ZBrush. The project was rendered, using EIAS, in 8 passes which were brought together in After Effects.

Best Regards,

Joe T

Joe,

I counted the spheres, there is only 298 of them...:P

Great job, congrats!

Thanks, Richard, and as always you have a keen eye for detail: there were only 298 spheres!

Aziz, I wanted to clarify that After Effects was simply used to bring the rendered passes together. After Effects did not contribute any glows or other visuals to the clip . . . the glows, smokes, textures and stars were all EIAS

Joe T

Hi Joe yeah I have not been on as much, cause I started work on my house , fixing some things up back in october and I thought it was going to take a about a month but it took alot longer then I thought , and then the change to winter season stalled me out on that . My house is all messed up till I complete this so I have been hardly on the computer. I have about 3 to 5 more videos I want to finish for easy basic EIAS , I have an outline to cover stuff I had not covered but I just need to get back to it at some point . I also seem to get the winter blues where I just don't feel like doing as much , its starting to warm up now, so I hope to get back to work soon.

Markl

• 3 weeks later...