Renderama Quits in high 90%

WHD

Hi,

I've been working on a project for the past 2 weeks and have had 3 repeated issues with Renderama that are not typical. This is not going to be a very good bug report as I can't find any similarities between any of the events yet. Just wanted to report in case others are having the same issues.

First is that Renderama is occasionally and randomly quitting unexpectedly. I will have a list of 10 renders and it will quit on render 3 this time and 7 the next.Good news is that it is so crash proof that it picks right back up when restarted.This has been happening about 3-4 times per day.

Second issue is that some renders have chosen to hang on stitching. It will complete the process if Renderama is closed and restarted.

Third issue is that some renders hang so I'll have a list of 10 items and when I return I find that item 3 in the list is at say 98% complete but is not progressing. Again when Renderama is shut down and restarted these issues are solved.This issue is most often encountered in the high 90% range.

Note: my use of numbers and percentages above are just examples and not intended to represent actual events.Issues appear totally random right now.

These things are happening on a Mac Pro 2.8Ghz 8 core machine running OSX 10.5.8 10 gigs of ram using no more than 5 cameras. EIAS 8. Have not had a chance to test this on any G5s that I have.

Bill Dempsey

Hi Bill,

Unfortunately, I don't have an answer to this one. I have experienced the same thing, 92, 96, 98%... Sometimes it's the 2GB size limit, but not all the time. I can get away with restarting as long as I am around. Not good for overnight renders that need to be ready in the morning.

We are using a MacPro 8 core as a small renderfarm, controlled by my MacBookPro. It was working well under v7. So, I have the feeling it has something to do with v8. I may go back to v7 just to see if it is more reliable, it's just a lot of work to re-install with all the plug-ins.

I'll let you know if I find anything.

Christian

Hi,

I've been working on a project for the past 2 weeks and have had 3 repeated issues with Renderama that are not typical. This is not going to be a very good bug report as I can't find any similarities between any of the events yet. Just wanted to report in case others are having the same issues.

First is that Renderama is occasionally and randomly quitting unexpectedly. I will have a list of 10 renders and it will quit on render 3 this time and 7 the next.Good news is that it is so crash proof that it picks right back up when restarted.This has been happening about 3-4 times per day.

Second issue is that some renders have chosen to hang on stitching. It will complete the process if Renderama is closed and restarted.

Third issue is that some renders hang so I'll have a list of 10 items and when I return I find that item 3 in the list is at say 98% complete but is not progressing. Again when Renderama is shut down and restarted these issues are solved.This issue is most often encountered in the high 90% range.

Note: my use of numbers and percentages above are just examples and not intended to represent actual events.Issues appear totally random right now.

These things are happening on a Mac Pro 2.8Ghz 8 core machine running OSX 10.5.8 10 gigs of ram using no more than 5 cameras. EIAS 8. Have not had a chance to test this on any G5s that I have.

Bill Dempsey

Similar things has happened to me also. I did realize 1 thing. Sometimes we might have tons of textures and models scattered in different drives and some on thumb drives without we realizing. When you eject a volume with a needed texture/model, Rama will crash with no warning.

Of course the other thing is a volume can be full. When you have 8 slaves on different drives and more on different machines, it can be very hard to keep track of free space left on drives. My data sets are often multiple gig in size. Add to that, for some reason, sometimes a the slave folder would contain multiple versions of the same data under different IP address named folder, taking up even more space not to mention wasted time to transfer the same data each time you render.

Here too.

Rama quits with no error, mostly between 99.x% to 99.8% when rendering

or stitching. The only pattern i see is, when a slave has fallen in sleep and i

wake him up by hand and ad him in the slave list again.

Sometimes a pattern seems to be when Rama has startet for the first time

in the morning and the first render is going, then at 99.x% it crashes.

After restart, everything is ok. Except a slave falls to sleep, then look above...

fantomaz

I have the same problem here. Once I was waiting for a rendering to finish and I watched it crash. I'm not really sure what causes it, but it seems like Renderama wants to begin stitching as soon as the last frame file is created and it tries to read the last frame(s) before they are finished writing.

It's really bad when you are rendering a stripped high res still. If it crashes at 90+%, when relaunched renderama assumes the job is an animation, there is no way to get it to stitch as a single frame. you have rerender the entire image.

brian

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have a project where it happens all the time, but I am seeing this on my PC on about 1/3 of the projects I send to Renderama. It stops when the last frame completes rendering, but doesn't start stitching. I did a test render of an animation eight times, only changing the QuickTime compression codec, and had to close and then restart Renderama three times to get all the animations to stitch. The next animation in the que would begin rendering. It just wasn't stitching. This is with 8.0 on a Quad Core Dell computer.

Ross

This is wired, i have updated the machine where Rama runs from

10.4 to 10.5 and in the last 4 days no crash, and i have done lots

of preview renderings in phong like before. Around 70 previews

all 15 seconds long and all rendered fine and stitched perfect.

Nothing else has changed in my office, only the update to Leo, strange.

But wasnt there a phrase: never change a running system?!?

I dont understand it, but in 47 years youve learned: you cant understand everything...

Hope that the crashes are gone! But i will investigate further.

fantomaz

This is interesting, unfortunately I am already running 10.5.8. So my problems may not be related to OS.

Last night I ran a bunch of renders from home on my MacBook Pro. Renderama worked but the camera crashed. I completed the renders at the studio this morning on a MacPro 8 core system, running 6 cameras. The cameras crashed but I got everything done, just lots of baby sitting. I had 3 main renders broken into sections (workaround the 2GB stitching issue). Two of the scripts rendered fine, the crashing one was using shaders. It seems to me that plug-ins and shaders are part of the problem. All camera errors are MCIO, Mac specific.

I hope next time I contribute to this thread will be to bring some solutions rather than questions.

Christian