Can smoke fire effects be created with clouds shaderand particles?

joseph56

I'm using power particles pro and so far the answer would be no.

Is it because the clouds shader is not greyscale?

I can get a smoke effect

with ag fblocks with reactive off (some slight artifacts though).

Just trying to see what the electricimage shaders can do.

Using power particles cloud primer as a test file

I also just bought the reduced price PP Pro, aFraktal & aEdge during their final “fire sale†days ;-) I looked at all the cool smoke/fire/dust examples, and was most impressed. But when I couldn’t reproduce them, only then did I read the fine print, to find that the examples relied heavily on a cloud shader from AG. Hmmm… I can get a pseudo smoke effect, but only by cranking the motion blur up to 360 shutter, and blur noise 100. Problem is, motion blur has to be turned off on everything else, or the slightest motion blurs the geometry. I too would like to see a sample if someone gets a useable smoke/fire example (wispy clouds too). I also can’t get Rama to work with it, despite creating a detailed preview, and copying the data into my Slave folders. (I also couldn’t keep the smoke plumes vertical, despite the high exit speed of the particles. It seems to me that they shouldn’t slant from such a slow rotation speed of the model.) Just my 2 cents…. Chip

BUZZ FLAMEOUT.mov

Hi Joseph,

I am able to make a pretty decent flame with Dante from Northern Lights. Here's a thumbnail of an asteroid entering Earth's atmosphere:

http://www.joetucciarone.com/tung4.mov

This clip was created with EIAS v6.5 on my old G5. I can produce the same effect on my Mac Pro with Dante and EIAS v8, but at this time Camera runs out of memory and quits in the middle of a render. A temporary workaround for this problem is to rename the rendered file then restart Camera's CCN file by double-clicking on it (it is in the EIAS v8 folder). Continue this rename/restart procedure until the project is fully rendered. When the rendered files are strung together in After Effects, you'll have the animation you need.

Blair Burtan at Northern Lights is aware of this Camera-memory problem so hopefully my workaround can someday be abandoned.

Sincerely,

Joe Tucciarone

I could really use this workaround. So I gave it a test on a problematic Dante file. After a crash, I changed the rendered img file's name and then double clicked the .ccn file. It opened up camera but it did not start to render. I could pause camera so I know it was working. Is there anything else needed? (BTW, you can not just go back into Animator and pickup the animation after the crash because Dante will just start at "its" beginning).

[A temporary workaround for this problem is to rename the rendered file then restart Camera's CCN file by double-clicking on it (it is in the EIAS v8 folder). Continue this rename/restart procedure until the project is fully rendered.]

Hi S,

I'm sorry but I don't know why the workaround didn't work for you. All I did after Camera quit was rename the rendered file, double-click the .ccn file and Camera immediately started rendering another file. Camera seemed to pick right up where it was when it quit, because when the clips were assembled in After Effects, there was no stutter in the animation.

Joe T

Well in the long run we're probably all going to have to get ag mondo clouds!

The clouds shader can get a big cloud type thing going in the transparency channel of a sphere attached to Power Particles.

Try it on their cloud primer file.

The stylized fire stuff with color to glow I think works fine.

Maybe gars can provide more details on just how some of those examples were done?