diamond test

Chenarch

Thanks, folks!

As to the way it tumbles on each facet, I looked up diamond density to get right in RODEO. Then assumed the surface was black granite and was very dense. Adjusted friction and bounce until it looked about right. Dropped them from varying heights.

As to the light, there are caustic refractions, almost full transparency, transmission, reflection, diffuse and specular adjusted here and there

plus a world reflection that was grayscaled...

Using GI didn't add anything to this scene, and instead, tended to flatten out the light.

Rich

45 downloads and 3 comments... Kinda disappointing isn't...? Well, that how it goes... :-/

This is a really nice test Richard. The diamond model is outstanding, I understand you used real geometry.

Now, if I may be so bold to ask, I would like to see the diamonds closer. A lot closer.

Maybe bend the surface on which they fall a little in X and Z so they bunch more at the centre, get the camera closer at the end of the animation and reduce the surface reflection to emphasize the diamond itself and not its reflection...

And while you are at it, maybe a test with more bling, exaggerated caustics and flares...? You know, dreamy diamonds... I will think of a dozen more things to do with your diamonds and get back to you...!:D

Hey Richard,

Great thoughts, thank you!! I was only getting into playing with it, so your suggestions are well taken. I did

try to get really close (diamond in foreground) but I could see getting closer.

Some of it was dropping them in Rodeo and getting slightly random results every time. I like the idea of turning down reflection, flares, more caustics. At one point I had caustics light spilling back out onto the landing surface. I'll try some more stuff. That was really the goal of this exercise, to play with the actual geometry of a cut diamond, which is tried and true in real life for making "brilliance." Thanks again, and I'll get some more back up here.

Rich:)

Hi Rich I want to see camera in closer and some other planes above the ground plane to cause more different angles in the bouncing. I want to mess around with rodeo soon. I just got the recoil plugin for modo and was watching the lessons for it and almost all the stuff seems the same for rodeo just different interface.Keep up the posts it's all interesting. Love seeing what everyones up to.

Mark