Missing view windows

Tango

I am working on a large project and I lost my top, face and profile views while importing/merging different models. All I have left is the camera view. I know I have around 240MB of geometry in there. Did I overload the viewer? I looked for preferences to change so I can regain my views but I have yet to succeed.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Christian

Hi

Are the windows blank? Are the window rulers "infinite"?

I had a similar prob sometime ago, but there was no solution to fix it with a shortcut or so.

What i did to fix:

Load the initial project, do a "save as"

quit

open the new project and merge/import the first geo or prj

"do a save as"

quit

open the new project and merge/import the next geo or prj

"do a save as"

quit

and so on. Everytime look, if all goes well with the windows, geo, etc.

When the problem occurs , you now know what had cause it, because

of the step-by-step way.

Hope that helps

Alex

Hi Alex,

Yes, the windows are blank, nothing in there. There is an "infinite" sign in the top left corner of the rules, I don't know if it's always there, I never noticed it before.

I may have to do the re-import process starting from my last save before it happened. I should have taken notice of what I was importing when it happened.

We always hope for a quick fix, a buffer size to adjust or something like that...

Thanks,

Christian

Following Fantomaz advice, I went back to a previous version of the script and started re-importing the models, just as I was doing the first time. I eventually found out that a .3DS model triggered the problem. I changed the grouping in the model and it came through fine.

This was a pain but at least, I got back on track.

Christian

Hi Tomas,

I'll do it after my rush. I tried to remove the problem geometry as it did it last night but the views did not come back. Not that I was expecting it.

I'll get back to you on this one.

Christian

Arghh....

It did it again. I quickly removed the other material, left the new geometry in there and collected. I am attaching it, but I'm not sure if this is the way to get it to you.

Let me know.

Christian

Viewer_problem.zip

Christian,

The project opens with empty windows on my machine too.

I merged your project into an empty new one, deleted then re-imported the models. I can now see them but I'm not certain everything is as it should be...

There is no light in your project.

The models are quite small, like 20 units wide. In EIAS, size does matter...

It would be prudent to make them larger.

Tango-View_Problem.prj.zip

Bonjour Richard,

I guess I removed everything, even lights before I collected the files. Sizing has been an issue for this project, we are using all kinds of models, either purchased C4D, 3DS or OBJ (converted to FACT) and some we created in MAYA. We prepare them in individual scripts with the proper grouping and texturing and merge them into a larger scene.

Is it better to export the models and import then into the bigger scene as models rather then merging scripts?

What should be a good target size for models? I have to pay more attention and get them to be closer in size rather then scaling later.

Thanks,

Christian

...Is it better to export the models and import then into the bigger scene as models rather then merging scripts?

Sorry, I don't have experience in that field. I'm sure others will chime in.

What should be a good target size for models? I have to pay more attention and get them to be closer in size rather then scaling later.
Ubershapes comes in at 200 units, that should be comfortable for the system. Most of the time the model or the full scene size was causing problems it was few units or fractions of unit in size. Simply avoid that as a precaution.