CG Society Lighting Challenge #28

Buggsy

I love christmas time, not because of the jolly old fellow, but because it gives me an excuse to do some of the lighting challenges on CG Society.

The latest one is 'Captains Log' which I have started to texture and light. It's currently lit as a day time shot with the focus at the moment on texturing. I'm hoping to also do a foggy mystical kind of lighting and a late afternoon sunset shot with a blazing red sailors warning.

Here is my start. Hope you enjoy it.

Captains_Log_8.jpg

Some project stats:

1.7M polygons

NX shader with displacement for the sea.

GI, with the Ocean as an excluded set and with receive shadows turned off.

Michael

I love christmas time, not because of the jolly old fellow, but because it gives me an excuse to do some of the lighting challenges on CG Society.

The latest one is 'Captains Log' which I have started to texture and light. It's currently lit as a day time shot with the focus at the moment on texturing. I'm hoping to also do a foggy mystical kind of lighting and a late afternoon sunset shot with a blazing red sailors warning.

Here is my start. Hope you enjoy it.

Captains_Log_8.jpg

Some project stats:

1.7M polygons

NX shader with displacement for the sea.

GI, with the Ocean as an excluded set and with receive shadows turned off.

Michael

That image pops! Love the wake behind the ship and different shades in the water.

Thanks. :)

Water is transparent with raytraced refraction, second yellow plane some distance below to simulate a sandy bottom, transmission, boat wake displacement and diffuse photoshop created wake (water paint brushes, needs some displacement to bring it alive yet), reflectivity and the NX shaders for the wave displacement and colour variation.

I have worked further on the scene with more texturing and will post maybe just a link here to the CG Society forum.

I need to work on a wake at the front of the boat. Not sure how to do this with EI anymore. Once you could use Power Particle Pro and Mr Blobby. Anybody got any suggestions?

Michael

Updated shots.

Still texturing but getting closer to 'happy'. Some of the textures are running in the wrong direction but will fix them as I go. I also don't know how to improve on the sails. They are bugging to the point where I am thinking of re-modelling them.

Let me know what you think and where I can improve.

You can also follow this Captains Log lighting challenge directly on this link

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=185&t=1009720

Michael

Captains_Log_32.jpg

Captains_Log_33.jpg

Captains_Log_34.jpg

Captains_Log_36.jpg

Captains_Log_37.jpg

Captains_Log_38.jpg

Captains_Log_40.jpg

Captains_Log_41.jpg

Updated shots.

Texturing just about complete.

Does anyone have any idea how I can remove the water from inside the boat. It's not a good look.

Tomas is there any way I can get the fog and smoke in my scene to reflect in the water?

I've now got to do those pesky sails Richard. I saved the image you posted to use as a guide. I've applied some deformations to the sails at the moment but I need to do more.

I'm hoping to do 2 or 3 of the 4 "codes". The idea is to compose the models and light the scene to portray the paragraph. You can see the codes on this link.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=185&t=1009720&page=1&pp=15

Will continue to post updates.

Michael

Captains_Log_62.jpg

Captains_Log_63.jpg

Captains_Log_48.jpg

Captains_Log_60.jpg

Thanks Richard. I do have the floor part of the model but I've realised that I had it linked to my Master Material for the white timber parts of my scene hence the reason why it looks funny. I've remedied it and added two area lights with photons to light the lower deck area.

Do you have a missing floor towards the cabin end of the boat? I see on your model the cannons in this location are also floating.

Michael