Rubiks Cube

HMeyers

A potential animation just came up, A RUBIK's CUBE (with clients logo). It's more complicated then it originally appears to animate this item and I haven't found anyone in EIAS land whose done it and posted the results of the animation.

I heard from eias's Tomas Egger who kindly passed along this bit of information: Rig it using XPressionist, Its how other 3d appls like Max or Maya solved the problem.

I was just wondering if anyone has come up with a simpler, more direct method. It appears one of the best ways is to create 8 rotating parts and re-assign colors to rotated faces as needed. That along with turning elements on and off throughout the animation will be a bit tricky to say the least, and could make it difficult to duplicate when the client asks for "changes." It can get very confusing and I believe a solid storyboard will be necessary along with a careful naming convention.

Thoughts anyone?

Thank you -

HMeyers

A potential animation just came up, A RUBIK's CUBE (with clients logo). It's more complicated then it originally appears to animate this item and I haven't found anyone in EIAS land whose done it and posted the results of the animation.

I heard from eias's Tomas Egger who kindly passed along this bit of information: Rig it using XPressionist, Its how other 3d appls like Max or Maya solved the problem.

I was just wondering if anyone has come up with a simpler, more direct method. It appears one of the best ways is to create 8 rotating parts and re-assign colors to rotated faces as needed. That along with turning elements on and off throughout the animation will be a bit tricky to say the least, and could make it difficult to duplicate when the client asks for "changes." It can get very confusing and I believe a solid storyboard will be necessary along with a careful naming convention.

Thoughts anyone?

Thank you -

HMeyers

Here is a little test I made with simple effectors. This is not the best way to go but it can be animated rather quickly.

The trick is to start with the finished piece.

Link all the cubes of the row you want to animate to the proper effector and render this section.

Unlink everything then link the other row(s) you want to animate to the proper effector and render again.

Keep going until you get the mix you want or when you run out of patience.

I did 6 animations for my cube.

Bring everything into AfterEffects or a similar program and time reverse the result.

Voilà!

Movie

http://rdnmultimedia.com/eias/Rubik.mov

Projects - 3X3 and 4X4 cubes

http://rdnmultimedia.com/eias/Rubik_cube.zip

Here is a little test I made with simple effectors. This is not the best way to go but it can be animated rather quickly.

The trick is to start with the finished piece.

Link all the cubes of the row you want to animate to the proper effector and render this section.

Unlink everything then link the other row(s) you want to animate to the proper effector and render again.

Keep going until you get the mix you want or when you run out of patience.

I did 6 animations for my cube.

Bring everything into AfterEffects or a similar program and time reverse the result.

Voilà!

Movie

http://rdnmultimedia.com/eias/Rubik.mov

Projects - 3X3 and 4X4 cubes

http://rdnmultimedia.com/eias/Rubik_cube.zip

Richard,

The 4x4 is perfect, I certainly understand and appreciate the thinking that went into the RC. Now I just have to find out what the client wants, then give them what they need.

Once again, thank you for the superb effort. I hope other folks will have an opportunity to find this and take advantage of it for other projects.

Best regards,

Hal

Richard -

… turns out the client's logo is a 3x3 so I eliminated cubes - attached to the "center cube" re-centered - de attached and then aligned 6 effectors to appropriate faces of each faces Ctr cube - noting on paper and naming them in EI as Effector A - face 1, Effector B - Face 2 - etc - Effector 1 Top and Effector 2 Bottom. Then I did a simple test to figure out the rotation axis for each face. Noting that on paper so I didn't have to think twice.

(by the way, the job isn't a "100% go" yet, but I wanted to get a head start so that I'm ready when they are)

I also added a 7th effector to the center cube - just in case!

And, just for the heck of it … I expanded each cube selecting then assigning each face: Front, Top, Bottom, etc. to a master color - therefore I can instantly change any full face (9 cubes) to match the clients color scheme. I was able to expand several cube groups and select several "fronts" at one time, assigning them then selecting several "Tops" - etc.

As you mentioned, select the group (Face/layer) you want to rotate and link to an effector then unlink and relink to another effector. However, I found that overall its easier for me to simply add a keyframe at "0" and my final Key frame at "1.5" seconds with a total render time of 2 seconds (allowing for a final .5 second still). The "0" frame is where I start to spin the Face and the "1.5" frame is the end of each move. Therefore Step one is actually the final spin to completion. I render as "step 1".

THEN … (and it's much easier to do then to explain) I duplicate the project and "SAVE AS" step 2 - I now pick up where I began the last step by moving the "time thumb" to the beginning frame "0" - deactivating the effectors animation and unlinking the face cubes from the effector, which leaves the Rubik Cube at the first twist position. I select another Face linking it to the respective effector. Activate the effector and slide it's key frame to the 1.5 second mark. Next move the "time thumb" back to "0" and rotate the effector, which creates the first Key frame of step 2. Render and save the render as step 2.

Duplicate project and "save as" step 3 - and repeat procedure.

I used final cut express to put together a test animation - dropping each clip in starting with the last "step render number" ending at render step 1.

The reason I chose to duplicate each steps project was so I can render out each animation step in multiple formats and resolutions and make subtle changes to each step without having to start from scratch each time.

I hope this all makes sense.

Once again, Richard - thank you for creating the 4x4 and sending the files.

When I can figure out how to add attachments (I'll have to read it somewhere) I'll include the 3x3 project so others can use it too. And I'll add the test animation too.

Thank you,

Hal

...The reason I chose to duplicate each steps project was so I can render out each animation step in multiple formats and resolutions and make subtle changes to each step without having to start from scratch each time.

I hope this all makes sense...

Yes it does, it's a very good idea.

If you use the button "ADD REPLY" directly over the Quick Reply window at the bottom of the thread, you will get a reply page with lots of options. Add Attachment will be there...

Richard,

I did notice that the other day when animating the 3x3 and thought it might not matter, but and however your daughter-in-law is right, it does, and I will fix it in my 3x3 - should be fairly simple.

Thanks for mentioning that … and please thank her too.

Hal

Ola Hal,

You need to Zip the file before attach :)

Thanks

Tom

Tom …

Ahhhhhh - thank you … after I make the correction to the the 3x3 Rubiks configuration that Richard pointed out I will post the "master 3x3 project file"

Best regards,

Hal

Richard, Tom,

I am attaching the 3x3 Rubiks project. I think of this project as the FINAL STEP, since, as Richard pointed out, you need to work backwards to create the animation.

I have done several things to Richards original 4 x 4 project (which is totally amazing) to make this process easier (I hope) for anyone wanting to create a 3 x 3 "Rubik" -

1) Created a master material for each face

2) All "inner" faces of each cube are now assigned to a "black material" as Richard pointed out.

3) Effectors are assigned to rotate faces in the following manner … (moving clockwise starting with the Red Face)

Effector A - Face 1 - (Red Face) - Rotate Z axis

Effector B - Face 2 - (White Face) - Rotate X axis

Effector C - Face 3 - (Orange Face) - Rotate Z axis

Effector D - Face 4 - (Yellow Face) - Rotate X axis

Effector Middle - Center Cube - Rotate X, Y, Z

Effector 1 - Top - (Blue Face) - Rotate Y axis

Effector 2 - Bottom - (Green Face) - Rotate Y axis

4) I suggest, as before, that you do a single rotation move and save the project "Save As" the next step # (?). This will be much easier to work with each rotation separately and you won't lose your sequence by linking and unlinking cubes to the effectors.

5) Then, after the final step is rendered, assemble the animation sequences/steps in the reverse order in After Effects or Final Cut, whatever - and you're good to go. By numbering each step render it's a snap to assemble.

I also have 3 cameras to check the entire cube quickly, using only cam 1 for the actual step renders … but they could be positioned better for additional renders.

Thank you once again …

Hal

3x3 Work with Colors v.1.prj.zip

rubik.fac.zip