Ball Bounce and pinned cube videos from the EIAS gallery

apu

Hi Apu - All of the sample clips you're referencing were made with SimCloth. The physics is purely a function of the gravity and spring stiffness settings of the objects. I used a weight map to pin the corners of the main cloth, and played with the spring settings of the cubes, balls, etc. to achieve a "jello" effect when they bounced. All I did was place the objects in position, and let them drop. I didn't have to animate anything! Hope that helps - Chip.

[Thank you for your answer. I've benn playing with it, but what I don't seem to get right is the settings so the cubes and the balls stay "rigid". They deform as well, and if I increase the stiffness a lot (say 10000), it takes a lot to do the simulation.

And most of the times the geometry messes up. What is weird is that with the same settings, if I do the simulation, sometimes it works, and sometimes doesn't. I don't know. This plug in drives me crazy.

Hi again Apu,

Here are the setting to keep the cubes from collapsing. If you want your objects to be jello, use large polygons. The more you subdivide them, the more likely they are to collapse. (Think of the poly’s as having a spring at each vertex that could fold. Large, long poly’s will be stiffer; while lots of subdivisions will result in a more flimsy, cloth-like material.) The cubes have just two triangular poly’s per side. Stretch Forces: Springs, Stiffness = 50, Damping = 0.25. Bend Forces: Stiffness = 0.05, Damping = 0.25. Output Subdivisions = 0, Gravity = 200.

If I had used a lot of poly’s along each edge, the possibility of the object crumpling would increase. See if these settings will help you achieve the result you’re looking for. (I’ve found that an object with few poly’s is a lot stiffer than the same object with many poly’s. Once you get the “floppiness†that you want, if the object folds or has sharp edges when you render it, select 1 or 2 in the Output Subdivision menu. It won’t add poly’s, but will interpolate as if there are more vertices, resulting in smoother looking cloth.) Chip

post-241-13269393671829_thumb.jpg