Function curve editor questions

apu

Hi, in the animator manual says that to break the handles of a keyframe in the FCE you have to:

Breaking Handles. Ctrl-Alt clicking (Cmd-Opt click on Macintosh) on a key will break or mend the control handles.

It doesn't work for me. I upload the position channel to the FCE, I Cmd+click on it and nothing happens, if I move one of the handles, the other one moves as well.

I suggest that in the next version of EIAS they rewrite some parts of the animator manual, specially the ones regarding the FCE, sometimes is very confusing.

Thanks!!!

Ola Carlos,

We have 2 different types of Curves in FCE (Velocity and F-curves):

1) Open my attatched project

2) Sphere Velocity Curve Group uses the After Effects way to control a animation based in Velocity and you animate your group using Viewports Handles like After Effects, if you double click in the group, you can change How many curves (X,Y,Z) to control your group position, “Implicit” key positions means = 1 velocity curve in FCE based in viewport path controled by handles, you cant break handles in the FCE window in this way, because you can only break using Command + Option (Alt) in the view ports (ISO, Camera Viewport).

2) Sphere F-Curve Group, uses F-curves (like Maya, btw: Maya only have this method), if you look in the group info window, its choosed “Explicit” to Key Position, which means, you will have 3 curves in FCE window (X,Y,Z) separated, you cant anymore change the path in the viewport with handles, but now you can Break the handles curves on each key frame using Command+option (Alt).

FCE.zip

I hope this help..

msg me with more doubts

Thanksss

Tom

Thank you Tom, I appreciate your help as always. See?, this is what I mean about the animator manual. If you say that you can break the handles, explain in what cases you can do it and in what cases you can't.

By the way, if in the Sphere velocity curve ( the first one), I want the sphere to accelerate then to stop in the second keyframe (just as you have it set), and then accelerate reeeeeally quick again?. In this example, the ball accelerates slowly, then it slowly stops, and then slowly accelerates again, and then it slowly stops.

Couldn'i it be done that yo could break the the handles in that curve (I don't mean that you can do it nowm just a suggestion for future versions), or is it imposible for technical reasons, I don't know.

Becouse I like to control the handles and the curves of the position in the viewports, it gives me an instant feedback as were the position of my groups are, but I would love to have more control of the velocity in the FCE

post-151-13269393608338_thumb.png

Hi apu. Have you tried command option clicking on the blue handle, not on the keyframe. That works for me. I can comm+Opt click on the blue handle to break the curve, and comm+Opt click again back to smooth. Command clicking alone seems to do something also, not sure what exactly, but it feels very uncontrollable.

Ola Carlos,

Look my new file:

1) First Sphere, you only rotate the handles to acelerate in the ways you want, but dont have How to break the handles.

2) Second Sphere, my trick for now, in the second keyframe, select the keyframe, press option and drag the keyframe one frame more, look in the FCE window, rotate both handles, both like you want, then you will still in the FCE window, press “Tab” key once, you will see your cursor change to Horizontal constrained axis, click in one of the keyframes and move to become in the same position of the second keyframe, now you will have 2 frames in the same position with 2 different velocitys, In and out.

Do this trick without the keyframe be in the “0” velocity, otherwise, it will change the shape of the viewport path.

Its not the best, but works.

Thanksss

Tom

FCE2.zip