HELP WITH PURCHASING and IMPORTING OBJ with OBJ2fact

Guest supernova

Guest supernova

I should have asked this years ago, but for us EI users who are not hi end modelers, we\I often times like to buy models from a site... in my case, its turbosquid.

Here is my specific question. I see models I like that are available in OBJ formats, which I am to believe is the best format to import into EI (via obj2fact) My problem is that when I see a model made up of anywhere from 2 - hundreds of shapes that I want, I buy it and import it into EI after running it through Obj2fact.

almost always, the model comes in ok, but as ONE shape! That does me no good as far as me wanting to animate the individual parts, AND shade and texture those parts INDIVIDUALLY. I HAVE had models come in properly in the past, as individual shapes, but never took the time to figure out why.

HERES MY QUESTION : What do I need to tell the MAYA artist when he makes the OBJ. to make that obj import into EI (via obj2fact) as INDIVIDUAL parts that I can group, parent or whatever. They are unfamiliar with EI in general, and obj2fact. YET, I KNOW that the MAYA artist can do 'SOMETHING' when he saves that obj out that results in ME having the model in parts, and not in ONE mesh. (I am never really importing human or organic stuff, mostly hard surface things) Turbosquid allows me to instruct the artist on what to do for me (besides making a fact :( ) But i DO NOT KNOW the proper language to use when I instruct the MAYA artist. HOW DO I INSTRUCT them to export their obj. in the way I NEED IT.

this is SOOOOO important for me to know. I should have asked this so long ago.

Thanks in advance!

Guest supernova

Ola Tom!! So those settings will import a model in individual parts? I will be trying this this afternoon with a football helmet I plan on buying. I wonder why

you would NOT check 'separate Maya3groups'.

Im excited for all the things EI is up too now...

Ola Supernova,

You can use the Maya3groups check box, if the model was done long time ago, so, you can do a test too.

Besides these options, only if the modeler which sent you the model is grouping everything in Maya.

Could you send to me a simple model which need to be in parts and its not working?

Thanksss

Tom

Guest supernova

Thanks Tom, but I have no samples. I need to BUY the model first. Its just that I want to tell the maya artist what to do so it works and imports to me in individual pieces.

I will try this later in the day....

Ola Supernova,

You can use the Maya3groups check box, if the model was done long time ago, so, you can do a test too.

Besides these options, only if the modeler which sent you the model is grouping everything in Maya.

Could you send to me a simple model which need to be in parts and its not working?

Thanksss

Tom

Hello SuperNova,

we also have bought quite a few models, O2F have the "Separate by Material" option in many cases this is sufficient to separate models.

Our second option is to open the model previously in C4d, there is very easy to separate the models without altering the UV's, using selections tag, then export it as. Obj again.

Cheers

Diego

Hello SuperNova,

we also have bought quite a few models, O2F have the "Separate by Material" option in many cases this is sufficient to separate models.

Our second option is to open the model previously in C4d, there is very easy to separate the models without altering the UV's, using selections tag, then export it as. Obj again.

Cheers

Diego

What if you're a PC user and don't have Object2Fact? This is a severe problem in many cases. Transporter doesn't seem to do the deed. Isn't there some kind of ungroup in Animator?

What if you're a PC user and don't have Object2Fact? This is a severe problem in many cases. Transporter doesn't seem to do the deed. Isn't there some kind of ungroup in Animator?

Hello,

as EIAS is not a modeling application, you'll have to use Silo, C4d or any other to separate or setup your Uv's models and then import into EIAS via transporter.

I read that the user Batoloco has found a way to import. OBJ UV's without O2F.

I think that there is no way to separate models in EIAS.

Diego

Hello Redcode,

I use FBX the only problem i have encounter is some shading are a bit different but that has to do with your modeler, sometimes a bit of extrude might help for angular shapes.

FBX also keeps the UV intact as Diego said just make sure you create them.:)

By the way i didnt know how much have i suffered not having OBJ2FACT, never thought it will be discontinued, just like Power Computing.

Batoloco

Guest supernova

well, I sent the model to Tomas.. Obj2fact did not even seem to recognize the file....

Does Obj2fact work with newer exports of OBJ's from Maya?

thanks for any help... ill send it to anyone else willing to give it a try...

Scott

post-152-13269393609986_thumb.png

You might want to try Autodesk's free FBX Converter program. It will take OBJ files (as well as 3DS, Collada, and DXF files) and convert them to an FBX file that can be opened in EIAS.

When I've had problems separating an an OBJ file into its individual components, I've used Accutrans 3D ($20.00 shareware). You can do a save with options and tell it to save each object individually, or save the file as a collada file. Then I run those through the FBX converter. If you do individual OBJ files, you can bring them all into the FBX converter and batch process them. You then have to merge the FBX files inside EIAS. You end up with a bunch of extra lights, but the objects are there with their UV's intact.

Ross

Guest supernova

Thanks Tomas!! Tomas was able to convert the model for me. I have OBJ2fact 2.1 he has 2.1.5 I dont know if thats why it would not work for me on my mac? Im still trying to find out from Tomas WHY his worked and I could not even get the 'splash screen' with the settings to even show up, on my end.

is it a mac vs pc thing? let us know Tomas please.... thanks again...

Scott

Hey Scott,

This is one of my biggest problems too. I typically have this sort of thing happen with models originating in Max. I usually ask the Turbo Squid folks to break down the model for me prior to converting to obj. This usually works but means that I may have several hundred to several thousand un-named parts that I have to spend significant amounts of time renaming and parenting. On the last TS purchase I had to reassemble tires on a truck that were now in about 30 pieces each. That was just the tires . Of my week and a half schedule for that job I spent a week of it just getting the model ready to use.

I'm about to buy 5 really complex models for a job that has a deadline that is only 3 weeks away and I'm praying they will come in smoothly for me.

PS.. how does one upgrade their Obj to Fact ? I'm still running version 2.1

Bill

You might want to try Autodesk's free FBX Converter program. It will take OBJ files (as well as 3DS, Collada, and DXF files) and convert them to an FBX file that can be opened in EIAS.

When I've had problems separating an an OBJ file into its individual components, I've used Accutrans 3D ($20.00 shareware). You can do a save with options and tell it to save each object individually, or save the file as a collada file. Then I run those through the FBX converter. If you do individual OBJ files, you can bring them all into the FBX converter and batch process them. You then have to merge the FBX files inside EIAS. You end up with a bunch of extra lights, but the objects are there with their UV's intact.

Ross

Hi Ross, I have downloaded the FBX converter (for windows) can you tell the settings in this program, FBX save Mode Binary or ASCII

Ton

• 1 year later...

ok, tagging on to a 2010 thread. I have Maya 2009 for Mac. I have a Maya 2009 project from ABC to get the ABC logo/model and textures. I want to change this fairly simple obj model to fact and use it in Electric Image. (I don't have obj2fact.) When importing the model to EIAS the ABC "pearl" is fine but the ABC text come into EIAS as though normals are reversed on the faces. Reversing normals in EIAS does nothing, but checking "use polygon color" actually does make the faces solid, but then causes some tearing and polygonal artifacts. Can I export out of Maya better for EAIS perhaps? What options do I really have at this point without OBJ2FACT? Thanks for any incite guys. BTW, ABC also gave me this model in C4D if that helps.