UV mapping

apu

Hi, I'm trying to know how to use UVs for texturing, but I've no idea. I'm using Silo for modelling, and I've done some tutorials on UV unwrapping. But from there I've no idea on how to continue.

Is there any tutorial or anybody knows the working method on this issue, couse I'm really lost

Thank you

hi tom, i'm Carlos, apu is my nickname bere in the forums. Well. I think i know how to unwrap in silo(i guess couse i haven't been able to finish all the process), i can get an image with my model unwrapped so i can ( guess again) paint the textures in Photoshop. Ok. Till that point, i yhink i got it, but from there? I don't know how to continúe

ny the way, sorry for the absence, i'm quitrín my Job so i can focus on my studio, and i've been very busy!!

Hi, Carlos.

A little about UVs from SILO to EiAS. I´m not the best for the task but... here we go:

In SILO

You have a UV map created in SILO, a jpg, png or wathever.

You must refine cage of the object before FACT export (or you get nothing exported).

Convert the UV map used in your model to IMG format.

In EiAS

Import your FACT object.

Open the info of your FACT object and, in SHADING-TEXTURE check the USE UV SPACE tab, and let NORMALIZE checked too. Check DISPLAY TEXTURE and SHADE TEXTURE in Display. This way you can see what is happening...

In the Material object, select and load your diffuse map. Open the map: in Alignment keep USER and change the values for Position X and Y to 0.5.

In Projection Scale to 0.0005 x, y and z

I think that´s all.

Hope it helps. My english sucks, hope you can understand (me Tarzan, you Jane...)

FelixCat

[Thanks for the answer. My main problem is that if I export to FACT format from SILO, I get nothing in EIAS. It doesn't matter if I refine control mesh, or if I triangulate. Always nothing. What I do most of the time is export to obj., or 3ds, and then import those models to EIAS. The problem is that if I do that, I don't get the option to toggle on the Use UV space mark.

What I'm missing?

By the Way, Felixcat, if you want to answer me in spanish, I think we can undesstand better each other, I think we come from the same place.

Thanks!!!!

Hi Carlos are you on a intel mac because I read in the old forum that the export to fact only works on intel if you run silo under rosetta . I had no success bring models in from silo till I did this . You run under rosetta by clicking on the apps icon then go to fie menu get info and then click the check box open using rosetta. Before I did this all models I tried to bring in from silo did not show up, but after I did this, they do. Triangulate helped with a model that had a hole in it . Refine control mesh is main thing if models have been subdivided . When I import model that has not been subdivided it looked wrong ( had black spots on shading and flat surfaces looked curved) till I double clicked on model went into the shading tab and unchecked smooth across faces in the color section. These are the problems I have had and how I fixed them. I have not tried bring models with UVs yet . I'm just learning silo , though I've had it for a few years. Good Luck Mark

Hi, Oh another strange thing is the models that I did not subdivide look wrong in the animator windows unless I change to the software engine . Even though they look wrong under hardware engine they render right.

Hi FelixCat yeah I did that and I think silo seems to work good once you understand it"s Quirks. Modeling and UV unwrapping are areas I haven't put in the work I needed to yet but thats the area I'm working on now. I have many ways to make models and I'm weak on all of them but I'll get there. Here's the list of modelers I have EIM , Silo , Zbrush , Modo , Pro Animator, Blender, Carrara, Hexagon. I know each program, a little, and I actually just need to make things and progress. UV unwrapping is a little brain twister right now. But I know there's alot of different sources of help, to get it worked out.

Mark

Hi FelixCat yeah I did that and I think silo seems to work good once you understand it"s Quirks. Modeling and UV unwrapping are areas I haven't put in the work I needed to yet but thats the area I'm working on now. I have many ways to make models and I'm weak on all of them but I'll get there. Here's the list of modelers I have EIM , Silo , Zbrush , Modo , Pro Animator, Blender, Carrara, Hexagon. I know each program, a little, and I actually just need to make things and progress. UV unwrapping is a little brain twister right now. But I know there's alot of different sources of help, to get it worked out.

Mark

I have few problems bringing in models with UV's from ZBrush & Modo. The main thing is to be sure you do not have multiple UV's attached to the same object. You do not need to use Obj2Fact for good results, I find it less reliable than EI's native obj/fbx import.

Your biggest obstacle it seems is using so many applications that do essentially the same thing but each with its own set of quirks. This must be a nightmare to stay on top of especially in regard to EI's own good measure of quirkiness.

Try sticking with

One Nurbs modeler

One SDS modeler

One Sculpting application

One Animation application (EIAS I hope!)

Zip up or delete the others so they don't distract you!

Hi Guys thanks for your feedback FelixCat I saw alot of your posts on the silo forum when I was over there looking for uv info so I know at one time you seemed really into silo so knowing you like modo now is of interest and maybe I will change focus to modo . bbuxton the joke is great but I have no boss at this time. I'm retired from my old job an can put as much time as I like into what ever I like . I'm learning stuff I want to know so I can possible create new source of income since pensions are so fragile now days.

Hi, Mark

I think bbuxton is right, the modo zbrush Eias combo makes sense to me. I´m not so sure about the SILO future (i´m sad for this, i love the SILO funcionality), but seems dead in the water right now.

:@

FelixCat

I think Silo's doing alright. I don't think they're dead in the water, but they just don't update every six months.