Dongle Free Animator | Multicaustics

Frankg

Whats the senario with USB C becoming the new standard on MacBook pros and probably all macs in the future ? does the dongle work with a dongle usb adapter ? will there be new EIAS USB C EIAS dongle available ? it only just hit me if i where to buy one (which I'm not impressed by them at this stage so properly wont) that my EIAS dongle wouldn't plug in to them.

Thanks,

Mickael

Ill try to find someone with a USBC MacBook pro and test it out and report back. I suspect it will work at least with the apple adapter.

just tested it on my old 2012 model through my Thunderbolt to Kanex USB3/SATA adapter and works fine on that.

I noticed EIAS 8.0 stopped working now in Sierra. not that i used it, just always kept it there in case.

thank and Happy New Year,

Mickael

I can't say how much effort is required to make EIAS dongle free, but from an end user perspective, it's outdated and a PITA. No system is perfect, but if the dongle breaks or gets lost, that's at least 1 week waiting for a replacement, most likely more, especially when you are on the other side of the world.  That's at least 1 week without being able to use the software.  If you have a server activation system, and the server goes down, then maybe you wait a day for it to be sorted.

formz and Lightwave have made the move to dongle free, and EIAS should follow suit. I don't buy the idea that there will suddenly be an explosion of illegal versions of EIAS.

The 3D world is very different now from EIAS started.

My 2 cents.

Hi Tomas.

Sorry for my rant.

I am on Mac, and taking into account my age, and all the different software packages i use (or formerly used), I have about 20 dongles, a mix of ADB and USB. The best thing about this collection is that you can boast to your friends about how much "expensive, niche" software you own. LOL. 

• Like 1