I just bought a MacPro ( 6 core, 3.5GHz, Intel Xeon E5 with 32GB of ram ) and am in the process of testing it to see how much better it can be ( should be ). This has been a torture of a process since you can get a loaded iMac 5K with a quad i7 for less money, and according to a lot of reviews, it performs better than the MacPro.

Now, I know we are not comparing apples and apples (no pun intended). I like to skip one or two generations, opting to buy the best I can when I do purchase and make it last as long as possible. The MacPro is a workstation, build for the future; I am getting to the point now... I can't do side by side tests but I ran a few renders through the new computer and my MacBookPro ( 2.3GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB ram ). I wanted to see a two to there fold acceleration ( considering the steep price difference ). The same short EI script rendered in 1:35 on the MacPro and 2:45 on the MacBookPro, faster but not so much. I can see all the cores maxing out on both machines, you can tell that Camera is multi-threaded and using all the resources.

If I am right, the new mac doesn't support Open GL and is not built with Nvidia technology ( but that should not affect rendering, right? ). I also tested After Effects, but this is pathetic for the time being, quite depressing actually. We will have to wait for Adobe to re-write and take advantage of the new architecture, easier said than done. But, I digress...

I always loved EI and Camera for its fast rendering, it saved my bacon a few times. I am currently rendering 9K animations and it does not even blink. But, since were are always trying to improve, I was wondering if someone  at EI has looked at the MacPro specs ( the new ones ). Are there any plans to take advantage of these new computers, Macs are a small market, and it would be a lower priority, and it may be hard to implement. I am no programmer, but I do appreciate the effort and dedication involved in making all of this work well.

We all want the best ( so do our clients ),

Christian

Hi Tomas,

I am glad to hear that. I understand software developers are always trying to maximize the potential to their product with the new hardware, but it takes time and you want to make sure it all works well, on all platforms. I firmly believe the MacPro is the way of the future, scalable and upgradable. We have to be patient.

I haven't had the chance to test C4D on the new MacPro since my version R13 doesn't run on Yosemite. EI made no fuss about it, again, great software.

Keep up the good work !

Christian

• 2 years later...