How do I animate gold overlay

Buggsy

Hi All,

I am doing a study and animation of the Tabernacle in the wilderness, as seen in the biblical book of Exodus.

I am wanting to animate gold being overlaid the acacia wood for a number of the vessels in the tabernacle and I'm not sure what the best way to do this is?

Can I just animate the texture channel, perhaps using a 3D object mask, kind of like allowing the texture to be revealed as I remove the transparent 3D object mask?

I don't need to animate polygons, just the texture will do, as the gold overlay would perhaps be thin enough for it not to be appreciated if modelled in 3D.

I was hoping that instead of spending time trying to find a good, quick and efficient way of doing this, I'd ask everyone here.

Many Thanks

Michael

The following is an example of one of the items I need to animate gold being overlaid.

http://www.bjnewlife.org/english/bstudy/sermons_61.php

This Altar is first made of wood and then has a thin gold overlay put on it. The wood forms the structure and the gold serves to decorate it.

I want to animate the gold being overlaid onto of the wood. This doesn't have to be complicated, it just needs to change from wood texture to gold to give the idea that there is wood beneath the gold.

Do I need a plug-in like AG Wipe Set from Northern Lights to do this or can I animate a texture to do this?

Michael

Ola Michael,

I'm suggesting this approach since you can edit easily the mask if you don't like it and you can render a mask a lot faster than have everything in one pass inside EIAS, this is a compositing trick from film productions.

You will use a "traveling matte", I never used Final cut express, but, should be easy to do.

Thanks

Tom