HELP! Rendering shadows for PRINT POSTER properly

supernovavfx

my newest contract client wants me to create a poster....  its all coming together nicely but when i add palm trees and more... the shadows appear SUPER BLOCKY and lacking any 

nuance or detail...   I have read all about the different settings I can change and have tried a bunch but not gotten much closer.    The poster is huge.... 27 inches by 40    'roughly 6000 x 9000

pixels...     I've increased the buffer size but i have no frame of reference... I do 99% HD video and animation...   something this high in resolution is new to me.   Test renders take 10 to 20 to 30 minutes

so I am hoping someones feedback can save me the hours and hours of tests I'm failing at so far :)               ray traced shadows intrigue me but appear to require lots of trial and error i dont have time 

for on THIS project anyway...    so many GREAT EI print artists out there... your input on high quality buffer shadow settings would be VERY APPRECIATED!  Thanks...  i am trying to attach an image

If i can soften up the ray traced shadows just a 'bit' i think i may go with those... they seem really accurate... a "bit" harsh... but graphically accurate and not bad looking... just not soft.   here is the buffer setting of just the ONE light     the background is simply a photoshop illustration of grass and sand... on an uber shape

I'm only allowed 13.4 k to upload imagery????   can someone loosen up my "restrictions"   

I use the 'Soft Edge' function all the time in my architectural work.

I would first do a rendering with 'Raytraced' shadow with 'Soft Edge' turned off then turn on 'Soft Edge' and dial up the 'Light Angle' to say .2 then 2 then 20 so you get an exponential change in the shadow blur. Once you have these four images you can then pick a range that lies in between them to derive the optimal amount of blur.

'Samples' typically range from 1 to 12. When you use 'Use GI Sampling Engine' it will typically render much faster depending on your GI 'Sampling Area' settings under 'Global Illumination' settings. The higher the value, say 12, the smoother the blur. The lower the setting, say 3, the blur on the edge of the shadow will start to look noisy.

The idea is that the shadow becomes more blurred the further from the shadow source like what happens in real life.

Michael

I'm ALMOST there....  thanks Michael... that was easy...  I'm surprised I've never used or needed GI before... but like all great things there seems to be a catch!!

your directions really helped me find a great 'look' pretty fast.... BUT :(    when I go to render it at even 3.4ths resolution I get NOT ENOUGH MEMORY    both with the 64 bit camera

and the 32 bit one.   I have 32 gigs of ram....   is there a way to get around that by sacrificing a setting i might not be aware of?  this is a 27 by 40 inch poster for print... so its about

6000 x  9000 pixels ideally....   its run out of memory attempting just 3\4ths of that...      i 'think' it rendered half resolution ok...  so it DID work for me and look great... just maybe

outside of EI's capabilities?   

So far I was able to get it to render by lowering the raytrace recursion from 10 to 5.   Im not sure I know what you mean or how to "tile" render this...  but ill see if i can find it in the manual.

getting it to work was most important.    I have to be done with this poster today so that matters.... THANK YOU ALL

Hi Scott,

I did a pdf search of the Animator Manual also but I couldn't find the term 'tile' as a rendering function. It could be a technical term we're not familiar with.

By tile render I think Tom may mean that you increase the 'Frame Strip Total' under the 'Network' settings in the 'Render Information' window. I often have to increase this to 20-30 total Frame Strips in order to not get any 'not enough memory' errors. I suppose it has a smaller area of pixels to render, being lighter on memory demand.

Michael

Ola Michael and Scott!

Yes, the feature is "frame strip", which tile the render in horizontal "buckets", it allows to render bigger frames.

Side note, camera always need to load the entire scene when rendering with GI enabled, no matter the amount of frame strips, since Camera need to compute all Ray traces directions of the scene.

Thanks

Tom

so to do this i need too set up renderama for my "test" renderings than?   LOL   its been so long since I've done a poster this large   6600 wide by around 9000 tall....   I'm literally figuring this out this minute and this hour so please

share anything you all know, I'm reading on this right now.... I have 3 posters to do.

if I understand Tomas correctly... the number of strips does not matter... the total 'rays' or calculation for the entire scene needs to be done by each camera.... so 'rendering' is faster, but if the camera can not calculate the GI than its irrelevant.    I said before... I'm learning a lot here... its all good.