PowerParticlesPro2.0 Motion Blur

Diego

Hi Tom,

The spheres are the built-in spheres of the PPP so no possible to activate the sphere motion blur separately, but if I use the "Shutter Angle" around 2000 it seems to be ok, is the first time I put the "Shutter Angle" so high but if it works it is okay:)

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

Diego

2000 degrees???

I often have to use large shutter angle to achieve the desired effect.

A shutter with an angle larger than 360 degrees would amount to no shutter at all... Technically we would need just enough steel left on the shutter to cover the displacement from one frame to the other. An angle over 330 degrees is highly improbable.

So we are talking of a different beast here with numbers often around 400 and in this case 2000. Shouldn't we rename this field to blurriness instead of shutter angle?

Hi Richard, I agree with you, "Shutter Angle" name is not very intuitive, like you've always thought that a value greater than 360 degrees had no effect, yesterday I was tired of not getting any motion blur on particles and I put 3000 º while I thinking some alternative about, then I saw that yes! values ​​above 360 have much effect!

"Blurriness Amount" it is a more intuitive name, and do not need 15 years to discover:) I know I'm not very clever.

Cheers

Diego

Some plugins behave very strange with mblur, for example one of the Northern Lights plugs will have extreme blur coming from the center of the plugin group's coordinates - as if its taking every object and shooting it out into position for every frame. Don't remember which one, maybe Placer? (Also this might have been fixed at some point).

The extreme blur settings have always been a way to get effects like the ultra-streaky/speedlines look, i.e. in The Mask when the main character spun-transformed into his Mask alter-ego.

This works in After Effects as well, btw.

The extreme blur settings have always been a way to get effects like the ultra-streaky/speedlines look, i.e. in The Mask when the main character spun-transformed into his Mask alter-ego.

This works in After Effects as well, btw.

I recently found that After Effects has a great motion blur, but it's NOT the Frame Blend effect you activate in their Timeline. If you open the TimeWarp effect, and set the speed to 100%, it won't function to speed up or slow down a clip. But, buried within TimeWarp is a channel called Motion Blur. Twiddle with its values and you can add great motion blur to any clip. Why they bury this function so deeply and keep their lousy Frame Blend is a mystery to me.

Joe T

I recently found that After Effects has a great motion blur, but it's NOT the Frame Blend effect you activate in their Timeline. If you open the TimeWarp effect, and set the speed to 100%, it won't function to speed up or slow down a clip. But, buried within TimeWarp is a channel called Motion Blur. Twiddle with its values and you can add great motion blur to any clip. Why they bury this function so deeply and keep their lousy Frame Blend is a mystery to me.

Joe T

I remember those stunning transform effects in The Mask movie.

Hey Joe, really nice finding this motion blur from TimeWarp in AE, I is very good quality for camera motion blur.

I've been reading about this plug-in, it was originally designed by "The Foundry" they always done a very good quality plugins

Some time ago you resurrected the Smokers on my workflow and now this Motion Blur, Thank you!

Cheers

Diego

I remember those stunning transform effects in The Mask movie.

Hey Joe, really nice finding this motion blur from TimeWarp in AE, I is very good quality for camera motion blur.

I've been reading about this plug-in, it was originally designed by "The Foundry" they always done a very good quality plugins

Some time ago you resurrected the Smokers on my workflow and now this Motion Blur, Thank you!

Cheers

Diego

Hi Diego,

You are welcome!

Joe T

Joe T

AE's stock mblur has gotten a little better over the years but is still pretty crappy for high blur settings. The TimeWarp filter does the same thing, its just a step-frame motion blur. You can get much better results in either by upping the sample steps, controlled with "Shutter Samples" in Timewarp and "Samples Per Frame" in the Advanced tab in Composition Settings.

They look similar though slightly different (I actually see more banding with timewarp), doing it through Comp Settings renders far faster though. I have a feeling Timewarp is pretty old and unloved.

FWIW there's also an mblur setting in the Transform effect, which will override your comp's blur value, though its also a step-frame blur and has no inter-frame setting.

AE's stock mblur has gotten a little better over the years but is still pretty crappy for high blur settings. The TimeWarp filter does the same thing, its just a step-frame motion blur. You can get much better results in either by upping the sample steps, controlled with "Shutter Samples" in Timewarp and "Samples Per Frame" in the Advanced tab in Composition Settings.

They look similar though slightly different (I actually see more banding with timewarp), doing it through Comp Settings renders far faster though. I have a feeling Timewarp is pretty old and unloved.

FWIW there's also an mblur setting in the Transform effect, which will override your comp's blur value, though its also a step-frame blur and has no inter-frame setting.

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the detailed information on blur in AE. My knowledge of After Effects is rudimentary and I'm always glad to learn more about it!

Joe