Shaking shadows

vic3d

Also in the GI settings, if you light the scene using just a solid sky color instead of an adaptive map it will be a more even lighting and hence shadow.  Or try a simplier adaptive sky map.

or try to up the samples of the shadow in the soft edge settings and turn the slider up to safe.

I followed your recomendations, no GI sampling, sky color instead of skymap, reverse ilum. sampling level 2, and no soft shadows (really didn't need that).  After that I did a GI pass, you know, with all colors to white.  Is there a way to get nice shadows without that step?  Is there an absolute best way to light a scene like this one?

Thanks 

Vic.

Hi Vic,

Did you try to keep your HDR image as your skymap? I saw no need to change this to straight colour.

Tomas is right, tolerance will help.

There is another way to light it (a scene like that). Well two ways I have used / found.

Firstly though, what is your Adaptive map for GI skylight? Please show us this. That would be a start.

And yes there is a way to get nice shadows, we need more info for the project though!

Best regards,

Hi Vic,

Did you try to keep your HDR image as your skymap? I saw no need to change this to straight colour.

Tomas is right, tolerance will help.

There is another way to light it (a scene like that). Well two ways I have used / found.

Firstly though, what is your Adaptive map for GI skylight? Please show us this. That would be a start.

And yes there is a way to get nice shadows, we need more info for the project though!

Best regards,

Hi Thomo and Tomas, here is the whole project, please tell as soon as you have downloaded it, I don't want to have it accessible to the public for ever.  All help is welcomed, I need this project to look really good and I don't have too much time to render it (as usual).  As it is, I was rendering at aprox. 9min per frame.  Not bad, but it is still missing details.  Some better grass would be nice.  Thanks in advance.

Vic.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/k0m26rx6vapturb/QMVkTSW9V3

Yes just now actually!.

First thing is to setup your clip maps on the pergola and trees, well all clip maps. Use RGB only in the diffuse channel and alpha only in the clip channel. But you then should set in the "transparency tab" your transparency to raytrace and then in raytrace options set the GI cache to irradiance, not layers. I'll leave the tech reasons up to others. But this will speed up clipping enormously!

See how that goes and let us know. I have another idea but this is the first thing that should speed up frame render.

If you could do that and then re-send/post the file with those changes I am happy to look further to speed up the renders.

If you start to get black fringes around leaves etc. "turn up" the raytrace recursion in the render tab. It is set as 10 by default. I always try 5 first with sometimes no noticeable difference, that will also speed things up. But if you get black fringes to your clip maps happening up it to 10, 15, 20. After that it gets into long renders so maybe change the model. More about that later if need be.

Best to you,

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Thomo, thank you  for all your help.  I am finally able to get back to this project.  Non of my people or trees have transparencies, they only have clipmaps and all the clipmaps are separate b/w jpgs. Only the glass is transparent (I made all the adjustments you described already).  The trouth is that if I remove all the vegetation it all renders in under 2 min even with furniture inside the apartments.  I'm just going to have to find a better way to add the trees.  What I would like some help with is in getting to the perfect way to light this.  I'll include in the dropbox a finished render I have to equal in quality, and some of my attempts.

Again, thanks for everything.

Well you guys are really good at this, aren't you? :-)  I followed your advice and I have finally rendered one frame in under 5min.  It was something like 15min before. And I don't even need to do any extra shadow render or anything.  I just need to improve my gardening and textures now.  

Thanks for the help.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/k0m26rx6vapturb/QMVkTSW9V3

All transparent objects are set to raytrace and GI-irradiance.

Only one parallel light right now with GI-normal.

GI settings in dropbox.

All other lights I plan to use are small radials with no shadows inside the apartments, just to be able to see inside a little bit.  That shouldn't increase render time to much I hope. Also not in all apartments only a few.

Thanks.

Vic.

Hi Vic,

I wasn't refrering to transparency. Just that if you have a clip map on an object, set within the transparency tab, raytrace and irradiance. This will speed up the clipping of your tree leaves etc.

I'm not sure if this is what you did or not but if you followed Tom's tutorial I assume you did.

Not sure what your lighting set up is now, but that could probably be changed to render very fast, trees and all.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Ahh, well that will make a big difference for your trees.

So set the diffuse maps to be rgb only, copy paste intot he clip tab and set as alpha only. Go to transparency tab and set raytrace and raytrace option then drop down tab from layers to irradiance.

Post a link to the collected project after you set all these up if you like, I can then have a look at lighting the scene for very fast rendering.

All the best,

Hi Thomo, I followed all your advise and the tutorial. It did get a lot faster.  Not sure if fixing the transparency settings for things that only had clipping helped, but I did it anyway.  It helped a lot when I did it for the glass, it went from 15 min to 5 min.  Amazing.  But here is the whole project I can surely use any tip you can give me on how to make the lights faster, I still have to add some good looking grass for some of the shots so I am worried about that.  Any ideas on how to make some good looking grass for when the camera is close to it?

Thanks 

Vic.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/k0m26rx6vapturb/AABEMX-WiBZZhGx4glpstZnsa