texture map and artifacts

interstellar

I'm having an rendering problem;  I'm seeing artifacts in EIAS v9 that don't appear when I render the same object in EIAS v8.

I created an asteroid in ZBrush which was saved as a ".OBJ" file.  I imported this asteroid into an EIAS v9 project and the ".OBJ" asteroid was converted to a ".fac" file.  I applied a small photo of some dirt as a bump map; the photo was saved an an ".img" texture map.  Some artifacts appeared in the small crater that is arrowed in the right hand side of the following picture:

http://www.joetucciarone.com/aaa_asteroid_issue.jpg

When I created the same scene from scratch in EAIS v8, imported the ".fac" asteroid and applied the same "dirt" texture map, I get the render that you see on the left side of the picture which has no artifacts.

I could render my asteroid in EIAS v8 but I was wondering what's causing the artifacts in v9?

Thanks,

Joe

Ola Joe!

I just uploaded the Joe.zip in your Dropbox, if you turn off the displacement texture, the problem will disappear, so, I opened the map, changed to RGB and added a Alpha channel based on the inverted map of your RGB channel, used only the Alpha to render and now worked perfectly.

I guess the artefact was introduced due the changes in EIAS 9 to render Zbrush now more precisely, so, the maps need to have more depth.

See if it helps.

Thanks

Tom