Can't do 64 bit

Chenarch

Hey all,

I am experimenting with v9 now and Renderama.

I work on a MacPro 2008 with 8 threads running Snow Leopard.  I set up the Slave on a Mac Pro Nehalem 2009 with

16 threads also running Snow Leopard.  Connected with ethernet.

I only need one Slave, is that correct?  When I try to make the Slave machine do 64 bit architecture, it errors.

But the main (local) machine will do 64 bit.

So far the single Slave on Mac pro Nehalem is faster than running eight Slaves using v8.

Any words of wisdom on v9 Renderama or Slaves or 32 bit versus 64?

Thanks!

Richard 

You may have already tried this, I am using a Mac MIni as a slave and I had to install from the installer (not just copying the Slave folder from another computer) -  

it is running a newer OS - but I couldn't get the Salve to run at all just by copying.

Also, remember... If you are using any 32 bit plug-ins it is usually faster to render in 32-bit. for some reason 64-bit Camera slows down with the old plugins.

bw

Hi Tom!

I upgraded to 9.1 and created a new Renderama Slave on the Nehalem Machine (10.6.8).

I do get that choice of 32 or 64.    I try to run it at 64 and I get this error... Can it have something to do with the Ethernet connection between the two computers?

The main machine (the local) will run 64 bit...  

http://www.princetondigitalarts.com/no64.png

Here are some tests I did, as scientifically as I could...

(( I had to add the "Camera_64 exe" to each Slave folder. ))

All renders are being sent to a Mac Pro Nehalem (2009) with 24GB RAM.  File only uses one Uber Shape plus Mr. Nitro and no textures.

Threw away the cache file and render folder between each test.

#1:  v9 / 32 bit / 16 thread / 8 slaves / 361 frames / 1950 MB @ camera (optimized) / 00:09:32

#2:  v9 / 64 bit / 16 thread / 8 slaves / 361 frames / 24376 MB all 16 threads (optimized) / 02:02:00

#3:  v8 / ......... / 8 slaves / 361 frames / 1950 MB @ camera (this was set) / 01:41:09

When I ran it on 32 bit 16 thread w 8 cameras it was only 9 minutes.

I don't understand what's going on technically between 32 and 64, but I suspect the 64 is supposed to be faster.  

I can post the file if anyone is curious to try.

Thanks!  Richard