Trees and shrubs

vic3d

Hi Vic,

I use a lot of Xfrog trees. I haven't used any speedtree. Although I have used also a lot of Archmodels grasses and trees.

I can say there is a difference between these two models.

IT seems that as things develop the old models on the providers sites do not get up dated. That is to say that the mapping is "better" on the newer models. The ones you get for free are often older.

Xfrog have tried to be specific about the species and regions of trees, for me in Australia the Oceania packs are good mostly.

I don't see much updating though so I'm not really sure where they are at for the future.

Speedtree I believe you can make your own, as you can with Xfrog.

It really depends on how you are using the tree models. They do add to render time for sure.

However proxy plugin I use a lot to place trees around, seems I can use a lot and not crash EIAS with that plugin. I'm about to try placer deposit which I bought but I am not sure how it will match up yet. I am assured it is a "proxy" on steriods!

So if you are using any of those models you will need one of those plugins to be able to repeat (stamp) the tree model around.

Rendering a scene with lots and lots of trees would probably be wise to use some "billboard" trees along with models.

I got a tip here on the forum which works too. Put some trees in a selection set with just phong lighting / shadows and render the ones you need with GI.

Takes planning but it makes a difference to render time.

There are also other applications out there like Terragen which can set up your scene (with imported trees like Xfrog) which you can then render within and use as you backdrop / reflection / lighting etc.

I haven't done it yet but I know you can produce HDRI from this.

Let me know how you go. I must be honest, the Archmodels grass and trees just seem to work everytime. Even fine grass etc. Good UV's simple when imported as .obj to EIAS.

Hope that helps