Negative Z

David Sander

It's the old Negative-Z problem again, something I scarcely need to use, and when I do need it to work, it steadfastly refuses to play ball - I think...

I've been asked to model a desk calendar with pages tearing off. I've used Uber Shape plane for my pages, and bezier deformation to curl the pages as they flip over and tear off.

The artwork on each page I have applied as a planar map, with Negative-Z unchecked so when each page flips, the reverse side is blank. Nice theory, but no matter what I do regarding positioning in the Z-axis of the texturemap, I'm always seeing the texturemap in reverse on the back side of each page.

I've done the flipping pages of a book before and had the same problem, solved by a separate render pass featuring all blank pages and then a separate render pass on top of that creating a luma-matte of the page faces I wanted to keep blank, all for later compositing in AE, but surely there's an easier way.

Or have I misinterpreted what Negative-Z is supposed to be doing?

Hi surfen,

it also important, that the value of Z is „small enoughâ€. When looking in

sideview, how long is the blue z-arrow? Did it go 'through' your pages?

Try to move the texture away from the page, so that the blue z-arrow

dont go through it. And negative z should be unchecked of course.

Alex

• Like 1

In experimenting a little, I've found changing the Uber Shape to an appropriately sized cube with a very small Z value (instead of being a plane), has worked, and I have blank page backs after positioning the texturemap at the very centre of the cube and have Negative-Z unchecked.

In future I'll give that a try to see if I can make double-sided pages of a book with one object. Hmmm...

David