EI 8.0 Camera Preview / Renderama

Gigayoda

Quick question. When "full size" or "window size" preview is selected is there a way to use multiple processors to preview the image faster? When animating a scene renderama splits it into strips but for previews it seems to just use one camera with no strips. I have rama running for 6 processors and it animates different frames by and stitches them but I haven't seen true strips as in rendering one frame splitting it up into 6 processes.

Is this how it functions or am I missing a step?

Thanks.

Preview snapshots aren't able to be split into strips. Version 9 though appears to be multi-threaded (proper multi-thread from all accounts) which means your snapshots will be fed to as many processors as you've got via one camera. This will improve snapshot speed enormously. I read about this in the manuals way back in version 2.7 or 2.9 and have waited for the last 10 years to see it implemented. Call me patient or call me dumb. I don't mind either could apply.

When animating you can't split single frames of an animation to multiple camera's (strips) but you can feed all 6 camera's rendering 6 times as quick in essence. Painful thing there is you may be waiting a long time for your final frame of an animation to be finished if it starts rendering after the other 5 camera's have finished their frames depending on how long your frame takes to render. I think this makes sense.

Michael

Yes that's the right approach Gigayoda. I normally dial down GI Primary Rays Count and Area Light Primary Rays Count. If I've set the anti-aliasing high I dial that down also for the snap shot. I also use the cropping snapshot tool a lot. What would be good is a preset that you could invoke on demand that allows to jump to a quick preview mode and back to final output. Sometimes I end up rendering a final shot only to find I left the anti-aliasing to low.

Michael