Memory... like the corners of my mind...

Chenarch

Hi everyone,

I've added some elements to my very large scene and trying to get a comprehensive image. I added some lights and two sculptures.

Scene is 2.5 million polygons.

I have four principle lights shooting photos and a sun (parallel). The skylight object shoots 3,800,000 photons, window object shoots 3,600,000 and two radial lights at .1 intensity for general illum shoot 1,000,000 each.

I've been sending to a Mac Pro Nehalem with (10) Renderama cameras

employed. Total RAM on that machine is 12GB. For the first time, now

Renderama errors occur due to "ran out of memory."

Am I simply asking the MacPro with 12GB to do too much?

Is there a way to render composite layers one by one?

Are there ways to slenderize the files? Can I do things like delete unused .fac files, elements that are turned off, etc. It seems all this info will be sent to Renderama files.

It also looks like Memory is not too expensive these days. Two 4GB sticks at OWC is only $66.

Thanks all!

Richard

Hi Dave,

Thx for responding. Yes it's rendering in strips for a still image, one strip per camera.

I reduced number of photons by 33% (total of 9.4 million down to 6.6 million) and then reduced cameras from 10 down to 6, and it seems to be

back on track. I mean I was able to shoot the photons around the room and get a prelim image.

Then ordered 16GB more RAM for that machine. It's very affordable these days.

When I supercede a .fac with an updated .fac I sometimes just leave the old one there because it's just referenced anyway. Maybe clearing out the render files every now and then... ?

Thanks again, Dave!

Rich

Hi Richard,

Are you rendering in "strips"? This can help with the RAM requirements (fewer GI points per strip)

Dave

• 2 weeks later...