Baking photons

FelixCat

I`m sure i´m missing something but i don´t get the baking to work. How are the setings for use the baked photons after fill the database? how i make EiAS use the baked photons. Every test i do seems to be baking the lights again and take the some amount of time (toooo long). BTW, the Gi is baked too if i choose the Gi & Secundary in the map mode?

Thanks for any help.

FelixCat

Ola Felix,

This what you are looking for:

http://www.eias3d.com/process/show_video.php?id=1129&iframe

http://www.eias3d.com/process/show_video.php?id=1122&iframe

GI and GI & Secondary will compute Raytrace and for now they are not baked.

If in your scene, you move anything, like a light or Group, Camera will need to emit photons.

Thanks

Tom

Hi Tomas

It´s the same "Sala Test" that i uploaded for you some time ago. My theory is if i can bake the lights (whatever time it takes) the animation after that will be faster (a pan in to 5 boys and girls chitchating near the blackboard during 8 seconds) if the Gi is calculated for every frame, (and i can´t exclude them) i think i will eliminate the Gi...

Can i bake the lights for the empty room and, then, ad the children iluminated separatedly (not baked)? i m not sure if i make me clear...:huh:

FelixCat

Sorry for taking your time, i think Ei 9 is taking all your time right now (and your real job too)

Ola my friend,

“It´s the same "Sala Test" that i uploaded for you some time ago. My theory is if i can bake the lights (whatever time it takes) the animation after that will be faster (a pan in to 5 boys and girls chitchating near the blackboard during 8 seconds) if the Gi is calculated for every frame, (and i can´t exclude them) i think i will eliminate the Gi...“

Look my attached, the project bake light with Photons in the geometry, but dont bake GI, GI is disabled.

ROOM BAKE.zip

After the first frame, which is slow, each frame of the animation is rendering in 2 or 3 secs per frame (Photons Calculate pop-up as Permanent).

The only negative thing is, this approach dont have the richness the GI render quality.

“Can i bake the lights for the empty room and, then, ad the children iluminated separatedly (not baked)? i m not sure if i make me clear...:huh:”

You could do your full scene, then render in 2 passes with a mask your children, render the class, then the children.

I can help you to setup later, if you want.. :)

“FelixCat

Sorry for taking your time, i think Ei 9 is taking all your time right now (and your real job too)”

Im having a lot of pleasure, because we develop the tools to make our lives easier here in our community including me which I use every day.

Happy New Year

Thanks

Tom

I haven't ever had time to really dive into the photon features of EI, but as a compositor I've been getting AO passes from Maya for quite some time - they usually do a pretty nice job of faking GI, sometimes even contact shadows - though they tend to be pretty noisy, sometimes bad enough that a secondary filter is needed to kill the inter-frame buzz they make.

How does EI's Photon method differ? Better quality? Slower or faster? Used for different applications? The "maya" method is to dump several passes into the comper's lap and adjust from there. It has its advantages and disadvantages of course.

I'm just wondering if the EI Photon process would be able to compete (hopefully exceed!) a Maya AO pass for fast faking of GI. Or do I have it wrong in its purpose?

Ola my friend,

“It´s the same "Sala Test" that i uploaded for you some time ago. My theory is if i can bake the lights (whatever time it takes) the animation after that will be faster (a pan in to 5 boys and girls chitchating near the blackboard during 8 seconds) if the Gi is calculated for every frame, (and i can´t exclude them) i think i will eliminate the Gi...“

Look my attached, the project bake light with Photons in the geometry, but dont bake GI, GI is disabled.

After the first frame, which is slow, each frame of the animation is rendering in 2 or 3 secs per frame (Photons Calculate pop-up as Permanent).

The only negative thing is, this approach dont have the richness the GI render quality.

“Can i bake the lights for the empty room and, then, ad the children iluminated separatedly (not baked)? i m not sure if i make me clear...:huh:â€

You could do your full scene, then render in 2 passes with a mask your children, render the class, then the children.

I can help you to setup later, if you want.. :)

“FelixCat

Sorry for taking your time, i think Ei 9 is taking all your time right now (and your real job too)â€

Im having a lot of pleasure, because we develop the tools to make our lives easier here in our community including me which I use every day.

Happy New Year

Thanks

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Ola Scott!!!

Photon Map is a fast way and precise light simulation to render interior scenes or simulate Area Lights like real photography.

If I understood well, Im not a Maya expert, Maya AO appears like EIAS Render Layers, which you can have your render in several passes.. am I correct?

Thanks

Tom

I haven't ever had time to really dive into the photon features of EI, but as a compositor I've been getting AO passes from Maya for quite some time - they usually do a pretty nice job of faking GI, sometimes even contact shadows - though they tend to be pretty noisy, sometimes bad enough that a secondary filter is needed to kill the inter-frame buzz they make.

How does EI's Photon method differ? Better quality? Slower or faster? Used for different applications? The "maya" method is to dump several passes into the comper's lap and adjust from there. It has its advantages and disadvantages of course.

I'm just wondering if the EI Photon process would be able to compete (hopefully exceed!) a Maya AO pass for fast faking of GI. Or do I have it wrong in its purpose?

Ola Felix!!!

How many polys in the final render?

I never had a render with Photons in 5 hours :)

btw: I would like to mention my render times with EIAS 9 and a Octa core machine.. but I cant share.. :(

Are you running only one Rama Slave?

Thanks

Tom

Well

I think i´m doing all by the book, still is waaaay too slow (around 5 hours per frame) i think the Gi pass takes a great part of the time. Has many objects in the scene... but it is looking so great that i think i will do it the same.

Work hard and all the rest...:D

FelixCat