16 bit renders

fiberblast

Im starting a film project that has subtle dark grays. I'd like to use EIAS and am wondering the best way to maintain a higher color space then 8bit in my renders.

I understand that "Camera" renders in a higher color space then samples it down to 8bit per channel, ie "true color". But, it's important that I'm able to work in 16bit during compositing, and deliver as such.

Are there work arounds for 16 or 32bit renders?

Thanks Tomas,

I did look at these and didn't really see anything that directly said it was rendering in a 16bit or better file, but I can call Northern Lights and ask about it anyway.

I was hoping to get more range from a RPF channel. But havn't been able to find a way to make that work.

Ola Fiberblast,

You can use Cineon Shaders:

http://www.northernlights3d.com/AG_Shaders/agproducts.html

But I will consult Igors.

Thanks

Tom

Hello fiberblast

But, it's important that I'm able to work in 16bit during compositing, and deliver as such.

Are there work arounds for 16 or 32bit renders?

Of course 16/32 render is needed, but we think with 2Gb RAM limit it would be not very effective, cause such images eat significantly more memory. Therefore others features should be done first.

Note: RPF_Saver has "non-clamped color" channel (32 bits) that can be used for post-processing

Is there an example or tutorial for RPF rendering? I'm having a hard time getting AfterEffects to look at any extra channels.

I am using the updated .shl posted in the forums here.

Thanks for any direction on this.

I know I:

• should use the 3D channels sub in the AE plugin menu. - eXtractor?

• dont think it should matter if its CS 4 or 5

• should have a matching filename including the padding except for the extension between the render and RPF sequence

• am rendering RPFs but AE sees "no aux channels."

• tried EI format and pict. - convert to SGI or tif before importing into AE?

Mmm, I've tried it, and I've got this:

-Use the "3D Channel Extract" filter on the RPF.

-Select the "Unclamped RGB" channel.

-Play with the Black Point and White Point values around their midpoints near each other and you get the image back.

Now, I don't quite know how this is supposed to work and what use it is as implemented, really. Anyone?

Mmm, I've tried it, and I've got this:

-Use the "3D Channel Extract" filter on the RPF.

-Select the "Unclamped RGB" channel.

-Play with the Black Point and White Point values around their midpoints near each other and you get the image back.

Now, I don't quite know how this is supposed to work and what use it is as implemented, really. Anyone?

The unclampedRGB allows you to adjust the full range of exposure. So even if EI has rendered something thats in very low light you can use the extract to get the full range of values back in AE.