Zbrush 4 now has MDD export!!!!

Mark Johnston

• 3 weeks later...

No, it exports MDD too. I have yet to get it to work with EIAS though. Must be doing something wrong, because it exports fine, but I get an error message when I try to use it in EIAS. The "magic button" is the ExportName button found in the Movie-Timeline tab. Pick a location/filename (here you will see the .mdd file extension) and now when you preview your animation in ZB it will bake out and save.

Well, my apologies and thanks to all involved...

:)

No, it exports MDD too. I have yet to get it to work with EIAS though. Must be doing something wrong, because it exports fine, but I get an error message when I try to use it in EIAS. The "magic button" is the ExportName button found in the Movie-Timeline tab. Pick a location/filename (here you will see the .mdd file extension) and now when you preview your animation in ZB it will bake out and save.

Ola Phungus,

Im having the “Invalid Time Values” error, I will take a look with Igors, maybe Zbrush changed a bit the MDD file format or have some trick to export, time to research.

Phungus, When I convert the “SPhere”, it asks a Texture, Zball.bmp, Could you send to me?

And What it happens in the animation? some increase of displacement over time? I need to take a look.

Thanks

Tom

I did not have any texture on it, but I made one (just plain grey) and attached it just in case. As far as the animation goes, I just sculpted a few quick strokes with radial symmetry on a layer. It should work in the same manner as a morph target. Will be interesting to see what you guys find out....

• 6 months later...

Ola AVT,

Sure you can, you will need to use only one MDD plug-in with all groups as children, then place all MDD files in a unique folder inside EI Folder, like "FBX" for example.

Then you will set the Folder "FBX" and set MDD plug-in to read all MDD files at once, you will write something like "BBallPlayerFBXASC03228_*.mdd", "*" means the part of the MDD files which change the name to represent the exact group.

With this feature, you can easily read scenes with hundred of groups ;)

Hope that helps

Thanks

Tom

That's pretty great Tomas.

So if I introduce a wild card character it will read all the MDD files in my in my EI Socket and apply the corresponding MDD to the appropriately named child of the plug.

very cool. Glad I ask.

Thanks Tomas. Yes, then this is truly production worthy.

I have down several test it's very clean.

Softball

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150167201164108&oid=129350023766105&comments&ref=mf

Baller

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150169399294108&oid=129350023766105&comments&ref=mf

PaperChase

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150170027719108&oid=129350023766105&comments&ref=mf

• 3 weeks later...

Ola AVT,

Your tests are working really great..

Are you exporting from Maya using Point Oven?

Thanks

Tom

Hey Tomas, sorry for the slow response. I need to put notification on this site.

Yes, I'm using PointOven to export from Maya to EIAS but I just realized that I haven't imported MDD into Maya. And I am haven't used PO on shattering effects. It can't bake objects that change point count.