Adobe????????

Mark Johnston

Hi

I was over on the modo forum and I saw all these people posting about adobes new upgrade policy which I did not know about, and I don't know if you do. But if I understand this if you don't upgrade to 5.5 there will be no upgrade path to 6 for you. Or you can pay full price again or start renting the software by the month. I did not upgrade past cs4 because at the time I last upgraded the policy was you could skip 2 upgrades and still be able to upgrade and I was tried of the yearly updates, that have stuff I mostly don't need or use .So now I think Adobe enters the totally sucks realm. If you ask me I hate that company.

Mark

Hi

I was over on the modo forum and I saw all these people posting about adobes new upgrade policy which I did not know about, and I don't know if you do. But if I understand this if you don't upgrade to 5.5 there will be no upgrade path to 6 for you. Or you can pay full price again or start renting the software by the month. I did not upgrade past cs4 because at the time I last upgraded the policy was you could skip 2 upgrades and still be able to upgrade and I was tried of the yearly updates, that have stuff I mostly don't need or use .So now I think Adobe enters the totally sucks realm. If you ask me I hate that company.

Mark

Hey Tom,,, the fact people were not informed of this in the 30% off offer that adobe had on black friday (it just appeared to be a normal sale ) wasn't good customer relations. I kind of don't like offers of deals at christmas time this being a time of more spending already. Its also the month my property taxes are due , so I just have high enough spending at this time. I don't like to bitch about prices that much but I have had almost every upgrade of adobe products for ten years but have never made one cent off these programs and I like many feel adobe seems now to want to set price for professional users and ignore people like me.

Mark

Hi Ended up upgrading couldn't get the 30% off deal only 20 .Hope I don't get mad when 6 comes out since adobe says the whole point of the new prices is to lower the cost to customers . I hope that doesn't mean lower for people who rent it only. I also hope new price for 6 is not reduced to only little over what I just payed for upgrade. The rent the software program price wise is cool but if your internet is down you can't use the software or you stop paying the rent you can't use it, but price seems cool for people who only use program once in awhile, which is me, but my internet company comcast is down about a 1/4 of the time and I, want to use it when I want to , if adobe server is down you again couldn't use it.

Mark

The amount of money I've spent on Adobe products in my career is incredible . . . They seem to think they are infallible, however, if you think about it, in my job, multimedia development, I can find other good alternatives, illustrator = corel draw, photoshop = gimp and aperature, dreamweaver = coda (or other), acrobat=preview, flash (which is on it's way out in my opinion) = html5 (any number of alternatives), Acrobat = preview, premier = final cut, aftereffects=motion, media encoder = compressor, I could go on . . . I'm already dropping flash, I've used gimp for normal maps, the rest of these would cost about as much combined as a new copy of Photoshop. So beware Adobe, the more people that leave you for other products, the better these products will become and there is a lot of unhappiness going on . . . I'm already starting to use some of these, my Adobe upgrade path had better be good.

grrrrrr . . . . .

The amount of money I've spent on Adobe products in my career is incredible . . . They seem to think they are infallible, however, if you think about it, in my job, multimedia development, I can find other good alternatives, illustrator = corel draw, photoshop = gimp and aperature, dreamweaver = coda (or other), acrobat=preview, flash (which is on it's way out in my opinion) = html5 (any number of alternatives), Acrobat = preview, premier = final cut, aftereffects=motion, media encoder = compressor, I could go on . . . I'm already dropping flash, I've used gimp for normal maps, the rest of these would cost about as much combined as a new copy of Photoshop. So beware Adobe, the more people that leave you for other products, the better these products will become and there is a lot of unhappiness going on . . . I'm already starting to use some of these, my Adobe upgrade path had better be good.

grrrrrr . . . . .

I'm in the same boat as you and same multimedia title. I found that a good hybrid in the list you mentioned is Hype = HTML5 animation similar to Flash. Also pixelmator at$50 has about 80% of of the most important toolset from Photoshop, about 10% from illustrator (maybe more since I don't use it much) and it has a Fireworks like slicing built in.

Coda 2 is around the corner and way more powerful that previous version. Adobe sent a survey a while back and it seems they were looking into the pricing structure and in turn started developing more mobile apps that supplement the expensive apps. I have to say After Effects and Motion is my only hard bargain they have very few similarities but both have polar opposite strengths that on my end require both as viable options. Textwrangler is a freebee html editor similar to BBedit and Espresso is another good HTML / (Insert language) editor very flexible by using "sugars".

Unfortunately lately I've been feeling odd about software in general. 3D is converging and any platform you hop into is similar to the next. Some need catching up some have too steep a learning curve or tools that do serve a good purpose. I appreciate how EI went from back in the early 90s from a $7k package down to average $900. Even EI faces cheaper alternatives in some cases open source that are matching and in some cases surpassing their efforts. Modo for me was first a good modeler but is picking up some serious steam I've debated EI vs Modo a lot. I still like EI workflow but I'm equally proficient at both now. Next EI version will be my "make or break" decision maker. Current tools are good but I'm concerned like other users.

Keep your options open at the end of the day its a huge arsenal of tools both expensive, cheap and free but the mastery of those tools will determine the outcome of your best work.

Hi,

Haven't tried hype but it looks quite cool and it cheap as chips.... Thanks!

Adobe is coming out with Edge soon:

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/edge/

But then that will be more Abobe high costs, and if people are already coming out with alternatives . . . again Adobe is not the only software developer . . .

The only good thing about fireworks is 8 bit png indexed transparency as strangely neither photoshop or illustrator have it. (probably so Adobe can give it a purpose!) It's the only reason I use fireworks! The rest of it is like a bad implementation of illustrator. Also when I think about illustrator, the last few updates have not really made much difference to me . . . I could in fact just stick with that for a few years!

Yeah, you're right about motion and after effects, I prefer after effects for the 'main build' and tend to use both for my work.

I also love text wrangler and Espresso, when using them with also free cyberduck ftp client as you can set text wragler as your cyberduck editor, edit live in Espresso then just copy and paste into text wrangler and it uploads on save, don't know if you knew that one but its very handy! Dreamweaver I use as if it were a repository! It's css management is way too long winded.

In terms of EI, I tried many other apps including modo and have never really liked them for the animation workflow, if EI can get the model importing sorted out and maybe some UV tools at some point, I'll be more than happy to continue with it, it's just nice to use. Shame that Silo stopped working properly as that was a great modeller and UV tool for organic stuff and was good value, fact export no longer works. I'm on Lion, so can't use rosetta.

Interesting times!

Mat.

I'm in the same boat as you and same multimedia title. I found that a good hybrid in the list you mentioned is Hype = HTML5 animation similar to Flash. Also pixelmator at$50 has about 80% of of the most important toolset from Photoshop, about 10% from illustrator (maybe more since I don't use it much) and it has a Fireworks like slicing built in.

Coda 2 is around the corner and way more powerful that previous version. Adobe sent a survey a while back and it seems they were looking into the pricing structure and in turn started developing more mobile apps that supplement the expensive apps. I have to say After Effects and Motion is my only hard bargain they have very few similarities but both have polar opposite strengths that on my end require both as viable options. Textwrangler is a freebee html editor similar to BBedit and Espresso is another good HTML / (Insert language) editor very flexible by using "sugars".

Unfortunately lately I've been feeling odd about software in general. 3D is converging and any platform you hop into is similar to the next. Some need catching up some have too steep a learning curve or tools that do serve a good purpose. I appreciate how EI went from back in the early 90s from a $7k package down to average $900. Even EI faces cheaper alternatives in some cases open source that are matching and in some cases surpassing their efforts. Modo for me was first a good modeler but is picking up some serious steam I've debated EI vs Modo a lot. I still like EI workflow but I'm equally proficient at both now. Next EI version will be my "make or break" decision maker. Current tools are good but I'm concerned like other users.

Keep your options open at the end of the day its a huge arsenal of tools both expensive, cheap and free but the mastery of those tools will determine the outcome of your best work.

I hope Silo gets it together.

I've had good success with DAZ Hexagon which was recently updated and exporting as obj to EI through transporter.

Of course I can't open old Hex files so I have to keep an old version around.

As for Adobe, they've become greedy.

There's no market growth for them so...milk the user base.