Adaptive or Oversample in animations?

interstellar

Hi Everyone,

Regarding the choice of either the "Oversample" or the "Adaptive" option in the EI Render Window, I was wondering if anyone has a setting that you generally use in your animation projects? The manual says that the "Oversample" option (the default choice) is best for animations. Selecting the "Adaptive" option increases image sharpness but also increases the chance for flickering to occur in an animation.

I know the choice depends on the contents of the scene. For example, if my camera is moving past a white picket fence (with very thin pickets sitting in front of very dark bushes), I imagine choosing "Oversample" would be the best choice. I also imagine that an animation of soft clouds drifting against a blue sky (no trees, landscape or anything else) would probably look the same whether rendered with oversampling or adaptive.

I've looked in our CG Talk and EIAS Forums but found very little about this.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions . . .

Joe T

Hey Joe,

I only use the Adaptive for stills. The oversample default settings work very well most of the time. When I get some sizzle of high contrast items, I start bumping up the settings. The AA Settings and the Sampling Setting need to be adjusted as a set. In other words, If you move up one on the AA Setting you need to move up one on the Sampling Setting. Uping the Oversample settings really ups the render time though so I have to experiment to see if it is better to try another solution.

Another alternative is to lessen the contrast of the objects or try to clean up the model. You can also adjust the sampling of each object individually. Also, some motion blur can get rid of some sizzle as well. Hopes this helps!

Steven Houtzager

Hey Joe,

I only use the Adaptive for stills. The oversample default settings work very well most of the time. When I get some sizzle of high contrast items, I start bumping up the settings. The AA Settings and the Sampling Setting need to be adjusted as a set. In other words, If you move up one on the AA Setting you need to move up one on the Sampling Setting. Uping the Oversample settings really ups the render time though so I have to experiment to see if it is better to try another solution.

Another alternative is to lessen the contrast of the objects or try to clean up the model. You can also adjust the sampling of each object individually. Also, some motion blur can get rid of some sizzle as well. Hopes this helps!

Steven Houtzager

Hi Steven,

Thank you very much for responding. I know a lot of people use Adaptive for rendering stills; I just hadn't seen much about using the Adaptive option for rendering animations.

Best Regards,

Joe T

Ola Joe,

I use Adaptive to Animations, the render window AA relation is always:

4 x 4 and 1 x 1, if you need more AA quality, you need to double the value, 8 x 8 and 2 x 2, don't forget to change all models AA sampling to 2 x 2, you need to go to a group info window and change there and then with "control + right click" choose "all" to change all models.

Any value over 8 x 8 and 2 x 2 will slowdown a lot the render without a significant visual improvement.

Thanksss

Tom

Ola Joe,

I use Adaptive to Animations, the render window AA relation is always:

4 x 4 and 1 x 1, if you need more AA quality, you need to double the value, 8 x 8 and 2 x 2, don't forget to change all models AA sampling to 2 x 2, you need to go to a group info window and change there and then with "control + right click" choose "all" to change all models.

Any value over 8 x 8 and 2 x 2 will slowdown a lot the render without a significant visual improvement.

Thanksss

Tom

Hi Tomas,

Thank you for your answer to my question.

I always render at an Anti-Aliasing Level of 8x8 and a Sampling Level of 2x2, as you have indicated. However, I want to be sure I understand what you mean by "Adaptive to Animations". Does this mean that, in the "Anti-Aliasing" box (the top box in the "Anti-Alias" Tab of the Render Window), you select the "Adaptive" option instead of the "Oversample" option?

Sincerely,

Joe T

Oversample for animations is really the only option when your output is going to be a CRT/Broadcast monitor, as it will guarantee you don't get any nasty diagonals that cathode ray tubes are prone too.

However, most people now have flat TVs and monitors, so, I always use Adaptive now too :)

Ian