geometry swap feature

Hi All,

Please tell me if this one exists already. I'm on a deadline and am brain dead right now. :-)

I've had the need to swap out models to revised versions on several occasions recently and it occurred to me that it would be nice to sidestep the current process of shutting down EIAS. Hiding the old model so that EIAS asks you to find the model and then directing it to the revised model. This process is a bit time consuming.

What would be nice is if we had an option, like the one we have with texture maps, to use a replace button.

Each individual object would have the ability to click a button that would bring up a dialog box that asks you to find the geometry that you would like to replace the current object with. Additional options might be the ability to choose to inherit deformations and transforms from the geometry being replaced. That way if a model in the scene has been scaled or deformed the new model will pop into place without us having to fight to try to get it properly placed.

So is something like this do-able?

Bill

This sounds like a nice feature. How do you envision the functionality/steps in EI?

For instance in After Effects you can have a PSD placeholder and that placeholder is sync'd per se to any edits in Photoshop. I figure same problems in AE would be in EIAS when it comes to parenting. In some cases adding new geometry layers or objects (depending your modeling app) may not be detected in EI unless you re-import the entire model. So under hypothetical lamp 3d model:

base

body

light socket

light

cord

plug

If for any reason the body has to be remodeled to become a moving arm instead of a stiff post then you may update your model to show.

base

body arm1

body arm2

light socket

light

cord

plug

I see potential error issues in the import or update. 1 is the naming convention "body arm1" may not sync EI (correct me if I'm wrong) may just hide that object / omit. 2 the new geometry may not get original parenting, scaling deformation that was used in previous options. All these "ifs" apply to textures.

However in importing a model if you have one base object as the center of the universe then maybe from a functional standpoint we can have a "refresh model" button. This "refresh" would first try to sync, if object varies, an error would pop up with a comparison pane left pane "current model" right pane "import model". This would at least provide an option to manually sync new geometry. and at least have "body" sync to "body arm1". At the end of this pop up window you would have an option to "preserve current textures" and "preserve current deformations" finally maybe a tab for import new textures in case of the new geometry.

I know Igors like details in the process and this is one I used to have a few issues with. Thanks for bringing it up. Do add step by step or best approach that may be available. I know PSD to AE is more basic but functionality on the back end must be a mission to sync information.

my .02 cents.

PS. I forgot the lamp shade. :)

This "refresh" would first try to sync' date=' if object varies, an error would pop up with a comparison pane left pane "current model" right pane "import model". This would at least provide an option to manually sync new geometry. and at least have "body" sync to "body arm1".[/quote']

Sounds good.

But a refresh/replace button... Or 2 separate buttons? For times when you don't want to rename the new file to the same as the old one.

i.e. When chronologically numbering updated models, etc.