Animations

rtrowbridge

It has been too quiet around here the last couple of days, so I have uploaded three animations I did to Youtube.

The first is a Rodeo Test I did that turned out pretty good.

The second is an animation of Tobias Richter's USS Kelvin. I was able to get the Lightwave conversion input into EIAS with the UVs intact.

The third is an animation of a ship taking off from a space station's hangar bay. The ship was created by Medjai, but I built the station. At some point, I want to replace all the lights with light fixtures lit by a single area light and attached to the lights with a selection set.

This animation was used by a local middle school teacher who operated a space simulator for students. He used it to represent their space ship launching. I also did a flyby of all the planets along with many of the moons in our solar system.

Awesome work. I really like them. I agree its been a bit quiet over here these days.

Your Kevin3 is great but at first i thought the ship was upside down because the Main Deflector is on top and not at the bottom of the ship. for some reason that how i know the its orientation of an ST federation ship. :-)

The rodeo test is nice as well. any way you could upload the project. Id love to see how you constructed the scene and got rodeo to work with all those elements. How bad was the render on this by the way ?

DOnt worry if you dont want to upload the project. Im just very curious on how people build the scenes. helps me learn faster by seeing others techniques.

thanks,

Mick

Mick,

The Kelvin's design threw me a bit at first, but ended up being my favorite design from the new Star Trek movie.

I'd be happy to share the marble project. It's about 6 megs. The system is not allowing me to attach the file though. (Tomas, is there a file size limit?)

I just used phong shading for the animation and each frame took about 5 seconds to render using one core on my 1.83 GHz dual core laptop. Switching to raytraced shadows kicked the time up to 25 seconds per frame. The Rodeo calculation for 450 frames took about 45 seconds.

Ross

Tomas,

The zipped file is just under 6 megs. The actual project folder is about 10 megs. The FAC files are large. I just tried to attach a png file that was almost exactly 1 meg in size, but it wouldn't do it, either. The same file as a jpg seems to have attached just fine, though it is only 416 kb.

Ross

Hey Ross,

Wonderful you are doing Sci-Fi animations like these one.. I really enjoy to see them...

Are you compressing the files, Its important.. do it..

if am I not wrong, our limit here is 9mb.

Thanksss

Tom

post-55-1326939364301_thumb.jpg

Tomas,

Were you able to open the project? I just want to make sure the file wasn't corrupted somehow.

thanks,

Ross

Hey Mick,

Ross provide us his Marble Dynamic simulation test with Rodeo..

Im having prbs to upload the file.. will be soon

Great test and WONDERFUL Star Trek Ship..

Thanksss

Tom

Ross, totally loved your animations, want to see more from everyone. We have a lot of users who seem to be shy about getting in here and posting so we all can get to know who does what how they use EIAS . There's a lot that sharing can do to help us all. Get out of your shells people , communication is a good thing.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

I've uploaded a couple more animations to youtube.

The first was a test of environmental rotoscoping in EIAS v.8. I made the chrome object in about 5 minutes using Wings3d.

The second was a test of using area light to light up the windows of a flying saucer. There are four separate windows in a selection set that the area light is set to use. It could use some fine tuning, but I am happy with the way the light plays out over the ship's panels.

Ross

Mark,

Thanks. They are fun to do. I swapped out the original 120 GB hard drive in my laptop for a 500 GB drive last night. Now I have some more room to expand. The second drive bay has a 160 GB drive in it (It's a big laptop!). I was down to less than 10 GB free on the 120 GB and 45 GB free on the 160 GB. It's nice to have a combined free space of about 425 GB now. Time to get busy...

Ross

Hi Ross I enjoy your tests hope others will do more of this kind of quick little tests

Mark