Vehicle motion

Steadicam

I need to do a test for some vintage racing shots (animated). I'm on my own for the tests but the final shots will probably be outsourced under my supervision. So I need to develop a workflow that is flexible and can be expanded upon. I'm extremely comfortable with the flexibility and strategies of an EI + AE workflow but have concerns about the car animations.

The only obstacle I can see in keeping a EI workflow is the realistic vehicle movement/simulation.

Based on the types of shots we need I have to rule out manual animation and rely on physics simulation for the car, suspension, and track geometry.

There used to be that great program Reel Motion which may of been perfect, but my understanding is that it is no more and the software is unobtainable.

If I could create the physics simulations separately in another program and marry movement to models in EI than I would be in business. I just don't know what is currently available.

I'm convinced that EI would probably be the best option for rendering these large Poly scenes with realistic projection maps etc. The new lighting tools seem promising in my tests for matching other apps for realistic rendering. But, if I can't find a solution for the physics than I'm gonna be stuck with a bunch of teenage kids dictating what I can and cannot do in MAYA.:dodgy:

Any thoughts?

Ola Steadicam,

BTW: I have Reelmotion installed in a G4 only to cars simulation purpose.. :)

Ok, these are some Ian videos using Car Dynamics on EIAS:

http://www.eitechnologygroup.com/downloads/tutorials/eias/videos/v7/rodeo2.mov

http://www.eitechnologygroup.com/downloads/tutorials/eias/videos/v7/rodeo3.mov

http://www.eitechnologygroup.com/downloads/tutorials/eias/videos/v7/rodeo1.mov

Thanksss

Tom

If I could create the physics simulations separately in another program and marry movement to models in EI than I would be in business. I just don't know what is currently available.

I would think you could bring in animation data from most applications using MDD. I don´t know what other application you have access to/ have experience with or can afford but there´s probably tutorials and plugins for most of them out there.

A quick search:

Max/Maya/XSI/C4D: Vehicle Tools

Lightwave: Vehicle Rigger

Thanks guys. I'm thinking after a little more research that Vehicle Tools

IS probably my best bet and I'll likely just have to suck it up and get a seat of MAYA and figure it out enough to do basic proxy animation using Craft Animation tools for exporting to EI. Atleast that way I've got a pipeline that any VFX house can work with regardless of whether EI does the final steps.

If Rodeo supported springs, you could do this entirely in EI, however it doesn't, so you can either do it roughly in EIAS (following my tutorials, which would still look natural), or, if you need it doing scientifically, you'll need to get ahold of a Maya car rig (there are several free ones) and do it there.

Let us know how you progress,

Ian

Hey Steadicam,

Too bad about Reel Motion. It was a great solution. I had hoped that it might have been picked up at some stage for further development . I had heard that there was something in the works at some point but it seems to have fizzeled out. For fish tailing , burn outs and rolls it could not be beat.

I used it all the way up to EIAS 5.5 . You can move the files up from 2.9 or 3.0 where the plug in was natively functional. Once the nulls were created you could move the data forward. I have not tried it since 5.5 but I imagine as long as you can move animated null data forward it can still be done. Problem is that it is not easy cause you have to go from Mac OS9 to OSX and then through all the versions of EIAS to get it to where you need to use it. Not to mention you need to take your set/road and car proxy back to EIAS 2.9/3.0 to do the sim in the first place. Very challenging.

So maybe the new EIAS team could explore this again ? I think NLights was the one looking into it before. Rick Baltman would probably allow it if it were up to him.

Bill

• 3 weeks later...